Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-02-2007, 06:34 AM
BusterLove

Default Breeds FOR beginners.

Inspired by Maxy's thread, what breed would you conside best for beginners?

I'd have to put Goldens and Labs up there because they seem so laid back, but they're not the sort of dog for me.

One of the other breeds I'd put right up there would be staffy's

Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Who woulda thought <3

An adult shelter dog.....
Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Dog Show Addict

I agree with Jess..

Goldens and Labs really aren't for beginners either - They require a lot of consistant training otherwise you see those overly hyper dogs that DONT listen to their owners..
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 08-02-2007, 09:15 AM
BusterLove

good point summer.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

I would say goldens and labs AS LONG AS the newbie owner exercises a lot. They are not really the "ideal family dog" any more because, well, most Americans are overweight and don't exercise enough. Probably back when the kids were running around with the dog all the time instead of planted in front of the TV they were the ideal family dogs. They definitely need training or they'll become a terror, but they are very receptive to training.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Boemy - I very much agree! It still surprises me to learn how many people don't even walk their dogs like every other day! And then they wonder why the dog jumps, digs, is destructive, etc

As long as one goes with a good breeder, or an adult rescue, and they do research and enlist the help of a friend knowledgeable in dogs, or even a trainer I think a Cocker can be good for first time dog owner as long as they don't mind paying for a professional groomer. JMO

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

I think it all depends on the family. I think a lot of hounds can be good for first timers; as long as they aren't expecting a super obedient, off-leash companion, most of the ones I know are pretty forgiving types. Some of the spaniels and retrievers, as long as they are active people able to provide sufficient exercise.

I'd pull staffys off the list, because along with the high energy, you are most likely going to have dog aggression and prey drive; not something I would ever want for a beginning dog owner. They should be able to take the time to learn about training and make a few mistakes without having to worry about aggression issues.

Mostly, I agree with Jess. An adult rescue with a solid temperment.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Labs are high energy dogs, I wouldn't disqualify them as being "right" for beginners, but I certainly wouldn't say it's the best fit. I have no knowledge of goldens firsthand, but my experience from the outside looking in, tells me that they can be a lot of dog to handle as well. Different strokes for different folks, though. It certainly depends on the individual and the family as to what would be a good first-time dog.

With that said, I echo Jess. Finding a responsible, well-known shelter and adopting a dog is a great idea for a first time dog owner. You don't have the puppy stages.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

I'd say a Std. Poodle would be great for a total beginner. They're trainable, fairly calm, they don't need a huge amount of exercise. Only downside is the high grooming requirements.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 08-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Are you dead yet?

ALL dogs have drive, energy, dominant/aggressive tendencies or whatever it is about them that people say is not for beginners. Goldens have it, Labs have it... I see these two breeds continually pushed as the ideal dog for beginners, but they're not a walk in the park! There's no "easy breed" to own, just easy individuals. If someone really wants a dog that's so laid back and non-confrontational, I think they should go to a shelter or rescue and pick out an individual that suits their needs.

My family's first dog was a Lab. My first dog was a Chow mix. Both were terrific dogs.