Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-02-2007, 04:07 AM
Dafuq?

Just wanted to add that the downside would be that they're a bit hard-to-come-by, so if you'd be looking to get a dog soon, you might not be able to. Here's a website about them: http://tibbies.net/index.shtml

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Big Dog

I'd vote for Papillon out of those. However if I might chime in with another suggestion, what you're looking for sounds to me like a perfect match for cavalier king charles spaniel. They're also good in apartments. My CKCS loves to cuddle in my lap, he's very attached to me, friendly with everyone and very playful.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

I'd vote Pap at this point ... but that's because I don't see me with a Terrior or a Chi .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

I vote shelter dog, be it Papillion or Chihuahua..
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm All Ears

I'll post part of the pm here in case anyone else is interested:

Papillons are really a pretty easy breed as long as you have the time to care for them. Coat maintenance compared to most longhaired breeds is pretty simple. I find small dogs need baths more often than larger dogs. They shed some, but not too much. They have no undercoat so unlike poms and shelties, they don't shed excessively. We just brush them every day or so and trim the feet every coupld of weeks. Some people clip the belly and around the butt to keep urine out of the hair, but we don't much. We show the male, so a clipped belly wouldn't look too nice. We don't have any problem with urine stains in the female and the male is fine as long as you scrub them when you give him a bath. So grooming isn't too big a deal, imo.

The most problems people have with papillons is that they are one of the most intelligent breeds and are very active. People who see one and want a pretty little lap dog that just sits there shouldn't get a papillon. They are more active than many toy breeds. That doesn't mean they are hyperactive and never stop. They just have to have mental stimulation every day. Mine love a game of fetch and will retrieve for hours. They also benefit from obedience training or agility training if you can do that with them. They learn very easily, but do not respond to harsh training methods. They can get overly sensative, so you have to be positive with them. Many small dogs are harder to housetrain simply because they have small bladders and need to be taken out frequently as pups, but we've been fine with this with our dogs. It just takes a bit of patience. It's an issue any small breed will have. As for barking, I swear that Rose never barks. I don't know why, but most papillons I know are barkers, though I would not consider them excessive. As long as you train them when to stop, it should be fine. I train all my dogs a speak and enough command when they're young. Seems to work well. I really don't think papillons are quite as yappy as some other smaller breeds, but they are more vocal than many larger breeds. They are pretty active dogs, but they do love to be lap dogs and be cuddled too. If you're in the same room with them, they'll be right on top of you. They love to be held and they tend to think all people want to pet them all the time and that the world revolves around them. They also have an interesting sense of humor. They're very silly dogs and can come up with a lot of creative ways to amuse you. Rose thinks it's so funny to trick her brother when they're playing with toys together.

This is a very informative site with pages about whether or not a papillon is a good breed choice for you, grooming, an entire breed history site, breeder lists, link to the PCA genetic research site, how to find a good breeder, and a link to the PCA rescue.

http://www.papillonclub.org/

I also know someone that fosters for here- http://www.paphaven.org/
Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Salty Sea Dog

in teaching not to bark exsessivly, the method i used was:

whith the help of my mother, she whent out and rang the doorbell, puppy barked at doorbell, i said "enough" and as soo as it stopped i treat and praise.
Repeat a few times every day, do door bell, knock on doro and people comming up and down stairs so they dont ONLY associate it with the bell.

i continued to practice this in the house, if the barking started i said "enough" and as soon as there was a stop treat and praise.

Vixie had it within a week, dodger took a little longer, he likes to hear his own voice.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 08-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
in teaching not to bark exsessivly, the method i used was:

whith the help of my mother, she whent out and rang the doorbell, puppy barked at doorbell, i said "enough" and as soo as it stopped i treat and praise.
Repeat a few times every day, do door bell, knock on doro and people comming up and down stairs so they dont ONLY associate it with the bell.

i continued to practice this in the house, if the barking started i said "enough" and as soon as there was a stop treat and praise.

Vixie had it within a week, dodger took a little longer, he likes to hear his own voice.

thank you so much =)
Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Salty Sea Dog

that method if your consistent shoudl work with any breed

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 08-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Puppy Dog

How would Black Labradors do in an apartment?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Big Dog

What kind of exercise are you willing to provide? I really doubt walks a couple of times a day would be enough. As young dogs, they're really hyper. I remember one day when my aunt left her 1yr old lab in her house alone for a couple of hours, he knocked down the tv, chewed through the tv cable and couch and anything else he could get his teeth on, including the wallpaper. It looked like someone had broken into the house. That's what bored labs do. They can also bark a fair bit if not properly trained. But if you are able to provide all the exercise and training needed, I don't see why they wouldn't work in an apartment. Most dogs are quite apartment-friendly IMO.