Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Default So I've narrowed down my choices.. need advice

+++ I HAVE ALREADY DONE SOME RESEARCH ON THESE BREEDS , IM LOOKING FOR YOUR OPINION/PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ++

So as you guys may know I'll be adding a little baby to my family soon. I'll be living in an apartment. Im looking for a loving ,affectionate dog who will get really attached to me ( not to say that ANY dog wouldnt, but some are more independent, you know, a good lap dog who also loves to play.) So here are the breeds i'm looking at currently ;

1. Butterfly dog ( Papillon )

Friendly, intelligent is tougher than it looks, gentle affectionate, lively, vivacious and charming. Playful and amusing but can also be calm, patient, gentle and dignified. Steady and silent. Loves to be cuddled but also likes to romp outdoors. NOT A YAPPER

although they can be good city dogs, they are sometimes not good apartment dogs, because the dog has a strong instinct to protect their property, and many will bark excessively at nearby noises
( is this true? Should i be concerned )

I have had people tell me that the Pap accually is a good Apartment dog and really good for beginners ...

2. Chihuahua MIX

good companion dog. Courageous, extremely lively, proud and enterprising, gives and demands affection . become very attached to their owners

Sounds great, but they are way too small for me, I saw an INCREDIBLE Mix at the shelter, it was about the size of a Beagle.

3. Yorkshire terrier

highly energetic, brave, loyal and clever. Affectionate with its master
The Yorkie likes to bark, but it can easily be taught not to do so

my neighbor has one, and its so playful and loving, im in love =P

4. Chancy

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chacyranior.htm

soo yeah these are the breeds im focusing on currently... if anyone has any more that might fit what im looking for dont be afriad to speak up =D

Last edited by quench; 08-01-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Dafuq?

Well since there's no Tibetan Spaniel on the list... I like Paps the best of those three.

ETA: You don't mind grooming, right? I'm pretty sure Yorkies and Papillons require some of that.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 08-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Yeah grooming is no problem at all.

Tibetan Spaniel huh? Mind telling me a bit about them?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Well, I'm a tad bit partial, but...

I like papillons the best. If you have any specific questions about life with the little devils, feel free to ask. I've known quite a few of them.

Tibetan spaniels are another of my favorite breeds, but papillons are by far my #1 choice.

As for barking, none of my paps have been excessive barkers. They do bark at noises such as the doorbell or something like that, but they don't carry on the way some breeds (shelties) seem to. Actually, Rose doesn't bark at all. I've heard her bark three times since we got her. It's very strange. They do tend to get really attached to their people- more so than other breeds it seems to me. If given their way, they'd be with their people every second of the day- including the bathroom. It's ajoke among the papillon people here that once you get a pap, you'll never go to the bathroom alone again.

I find they're a good choice for someone who wants a little dog with a lot of character and a high activity level. They are cuddlers and lap dogs, but they're very intelligent and can be very active.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

I vote for the Chihuahua mix, or going to the pound and finding a small dog that fits your specifications. These pound puppies can be so endearing.

As an adult I've had a pug and a mixed pound dog. Both would work, but Pug wasn't on your list. You can find a very dear friend at the shelter!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Your Mom

I say Papillon BY FAR from the list provided. They even tempt me and I really am not a small dog fan.

But a Tibetan Spaniel is also a **** cool little dog.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Salty Sea Dog

im partial to chihuahuas but agree there not a breed for everybody, a larger chihuahua mix however might be absolutly perfect for you.
Chis are low grooming (even the longhaired) and they love to play but arnt an extreemly hihg energy dog.
this breed bonds tightly, so tightly in fact that there prone to seperation anxiety and possessive tendencies towards their owners if not properly socilized as puppies, they are EXCELENT guard dogs despite their size. but again if not properly trained can bark exsessivly. (all mine were taught the command enough from day one)
Chihuahuas are one of those breeds that, if you like em you LOVE them, and they tend to be addictive.

A chihuahua mix could display tendencies of any of the breeds mixed in so it would have to be a one on one basis, but it would be perfect in terms of adopting a small dog from a shelter!

Paps are wonderfull too, from what im told they display alot of the same tendencies as chis, except a little more on the grooming and higher energy.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Puppy Dog

How exactly would i go about teaching my puppy to not bark excessively ??
Old 08-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Top Dog

If you get an adult from the shelter, you might be able to assess if the dog you're looking at is quiet or vocal. Then you can narrow down your choices to the less barky ones.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 AM
Dafuq?

I've only got experience with my dad's Tibetan. He's a cool little guy. Very smart, very funny, very much aware of how cute he is. Kind of a snot at times, but he hasn't had extensive training either. Basically a love sponge that follows my dad around the house 99% of the time. Can be vocal at times, but not really excessive. Just an all around neat dog, and I don't really like little dogs, so that's saying something. Here's a few pics of Cimba:

(Ignore the feet in the first one.)

This pic of him pestering my husband makes him look huge. He's about 15 pounds.

He gets the Loki seal of approval. LOL

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...