Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Show Dog

I don't think that any dog needs a 'job' per say providing that they are exercised, trained and stimulated efficiently. Now, that said, if you own a dog from a very strong working background (working bred GSD, working bred Pointer or Retriever, etc.) then that dog is probably going to need a bit more than your average pet. A 'job' if you will. A dog that is from a working line has been bred for a specific purpose and that dog will thrive best when it has the opportunity to forfill that purpose.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Vizsla Mom

I tell you by giving Otis a job to do while we are walking (carring a full water bottle), he does not go into "I am going to protect my mom mode." He walks around with his head high and does his tag wag and butt wiggle right by people so they will comment how cute he is.He is proud of his water bottle. If no water bottle he will lunge and look like he is gonna eat them ( dogs or people). He is a vizsla and has a few issues, I beleive that his first owners abused him. We work very hard to undo what they did to him. He is very untrusting of new people, he will not allow people to touch is back end until he is ready. He whirls around and scares people if they touch him too soon. But when he figures out they mean no harm he will back is butt up in between your legs and that is your cue that you better give him a butt scratch. I am going to see about getting him a backpack and try that out. For him, a job takes him outta the fear agression mode. At least thats what it seems like, But then I am no expert, it all trial and error.

Pam
Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Bodhi stimulates my mind and my body. And I stimulate hers.

It's not a job per se.. more a way of life.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
SAGE

All breeds were basically bred for some kind of a job weren't they?
I know most dogs like herders,retrievers,and sled dogs are alot happier doing what they were bred for.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
All breeds were basically bred for some kind of a job weren't they?
I know most dogs like herders,retrievers,and sled dogs are alot happier doing what they were bred for.
I'd disagree with that statement.

To say they are more happy when they are doing a job, is to say they are less happy when they aren't.

Dogs don't rationalise these things... Sure, they are happy when they do them, but I don't think they are LESS happy just being loved and walked and not serving a strict purpose.

I don't think a gun dog is any LESS happy when it's not in the field.
It may enjoy the job, but ignorance is bliss, and dogs are dogs at the end of the day.

And also - where do mixed breeds fit into that statement?

I think dogs are MOST happy when they are stimulated. HOW you do that doesn't necessarily mean giving them a job.

For ANY dog you need to assess their needs.

As long as you do that, they're A OK. They don't need a JOB. Playing games, hide and seek, jogging, swimming - as long as those physical and mental needs are met, it doesn't need to be rocket science, or months of training, or a strict regime, or a specific task.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
SAGE

HMMMMM,This is the third time of trying to reply back to Dizzy's point
Old 08-02-2007, 06:43 PM
SAGE

Point understood Dizzy,and this makes up for a good debate.
Maybe happier was the wrong word,i should have said more gratified,fulfilled, and proud to live out their instincts and bred in abilities.I've had working dogs and non-working dogs and to me there is a difference.

As for mixed breeds...you might say they are more multi-talented.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Snow Girl

I think what Labman was saying is that when you compare dogs that have a job and do fulfill a "need" (whether it be flyball or field work or sledding or agility...) to those of the same breeds that dont, on average the ones who have jobs are a lot happier and more content than the ones that dont. Sure the ones that dont, dont know what they are missing out on, BUT if you do expose them to working life you will be amazed at the difference you will see. Ronan's owner used to tell me that anytime he brought Ronan home after spending the weekend with me (out sledding) Ronan would mope and whine and cry because he wants to be sledding, not lazing on a couch. Ronan NEVER whined when I took him away from his prior home. He always wanted and still does, to be working.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 PM
SAGE

Wow thats wierd,my first two replies must have been too long,thanks Spirit you just added to what i left out in the longer versions that didn't get sent.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

All dogs have instincts and drives to one degree or another. Those predatory drives need outlets of some sort. The dogs that have stronger or more of the predatory motor patterns need more of an outlet, I think. For example, a Border Collie has that eye stalk very strongly and goes onto the chase. Those drives need someplace to go or the dog has that pent up. A dog that has the chase, grab and bite, like a terrier bred to hunt vermin in the earth would be satisfied doing something that resembles that. Mental and physical stimulation makes most all dogs happier IMO.

Even my little Chihuahuas....bred to be companions, happy to sit on laps and snooze a lot still love to run and play, practicing their predatory drives. Jose` makes a surprisingly terrific retriever. He LOVES to chase a ball and bring it back to me. He has quite the prey drive going on. He's very happy using his mind to learn new tricks....always game for it. I really should spend more time doing fun stuff with him. I spend too much time on my Doberman and slack with the little dogs as far as training.

My Doberman happens to have unbelievably strong herding instincts/prey drive. He makes a pest out of himself playing with Toker, the other dog that's not a Chi. She'll have a ball and he couldn't care less about the ball. But when you throw it for her, Lyric herds her and nips at her pretty hard sometimes. He's so focused on where she's going, how she's about to turn and he's poised, frozen while she's still....right on it. She goes left, he goes left, right, he goes right quickly, like a quarter horse watching a cow.

He does some agility and obedience but he could use a game or some sport to exercise his enjoyment or drive of herding. So, I need to come up with something constructive to do around here for that. I think it would make him happy to have that kind of outlet. He does run out of energy fairly soon, due to his chronic liver disease, but while the goings good, he's full of it.

My girl Chi loves attacking a tiny piece of kibble or some other small object. She really gets into the turning sideways, curving her body and stalking, then pouncing on her "kill." Then she throws it up in the air and does it all over again. LOL. Even she has that predatory thing going on. All dogs do. It just takes varying degrees and types of activities to satisfy not only different breeds, but individual dogs. Some dogs require a lot more exercise than others and a lot more mental stimulation than others. And it can change as they mature.

Not all jobs have to be formal or labelled or put into a very strict category. Some people are satisfied with working at a McDonalds, some would not be and are only stimulated enough with some other more difficult type job that perhaps took a lot of education to do, or a lot of physical energy to do....People vary that way too.