Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Active Pup

Default interested in getting best guard/protection breed

we're interested in getting another dog along with our belgian malinois. we want the best guard and most protective breed. we have been looking into rottweilers, anatolian shepherds, german shepherds, akitas, and mastiffs. does anyone know the pros and cons to each of these breeds and any suggestions and additional information about them. we have a very large lard and alot of woods.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Water Junkie

Why do you want a breed that is the best protector? What do you plan to do with this dog?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Twin 2.0

You've got two types of guardians in your list; the personal type guardians and the livestock guardians. Each has their pros and cons and different personalities. What EXACTLY are you looking for in a dog and why?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Your Mom

According to your other post you already have a Mal puppy. Unless there is someone who will plan on attacking you very soon, I would not worry about getting a second dog and focus on your Mal for now. They are very high drive and I have seen some FANTASTIC Mals in personal protection. You just need to devote the time and effort to the puppy you have now so that you will have a fantastic personal protection dog in the future.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Active Pup

we dont have livestock or anything, we want a very very loyal dog that is willing to utterly protect our house, yard, and family. we dont want it to be slow, we want a large, athletic and very smart breed. is their one from my list or another u could reccomend?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Active Pup

about our malinois, we are training him very much and are working alot with him, but we are deeply considering getting another dog also
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Twin 2.0

I do have a breed in mind, but at the same time I am going to encourage you to concentrate on your Mal for now. They're not known as Land Sharks for nothing! You'll have your hands full for quite some time with him and it's always best to have your first dog trained up the way you want them before adding in another puppy. This way the pup has an example to learn from and it's a good one, and the older dog knows the rules and will be more at ease with major changes.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Active Pup

just out of curiosity what wat the breed u had in mind?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Twin 2.0

The Fila Brasilero, but it takes a very breed-knowledgable person to raise them properly. There are a few members on here with one or so.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Active Pup

is that a rare breed because i havnt really heard of them, and was ther one from the list that could best fit the descriptions i wrote, im just wondering, i doubt we will get another now that we are considering just our malinous now