Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-29-2007, 12:16 PM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

Troller
Quote:
I'm a firm believer that any breed can live in an apartment as long as the owner is willing to put the time into properly excersizing the dog and such.
MC
Quote:
I disagree with any breed living in an apt. For some dogs long walks just don't cut it
RR
Quote:
So no breed should live in an apartment? No Yorkies, Maltese, Chihuahuas, MinPins?

Blanket statements such as the above are generally untrue. This one CERTAINLY is untrue.
RR, I used the word "any" as a direct quote. Sorry for no quotations.

RR, my opinion isn't "blanketed". It's the truth. Your broadcasting of quality working lines and "any" dog living in an apt's is ridiculousy "blanketed" in my opinion. Sorry.

Also, the "any" dog able to live in apt's is the reason why unstable temperments is a problem in city shelters. Again just my opinion.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaCato View Post
I disagree with any breed living in an apt. For some dogs long walks just don't cut it.
What does walking/exercising your dog have to do with the size of the home? People can still walk, run, physically and mentally meet their dogs' needs outdoors. The size of the home doesn't mean those requirements can't be met. I own a small home in the city, with a medium sized back yard, and I still take my dogs out on walks, running off leash in select areas (some of which I have to drive to), and take them swimming at the lake and hiking.

Now if someone with a dog that needs a lot of exercise is living in an apartment, and just doesn't bother to put in the effort to make sure that dog's requirements are met, then they should look more into a breed that doesn't need what the owner isn't willing to give (one more suited to their lifestlye), or should just not own a dog.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:40 PM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

Quote:
Now if someone with a dog that needs a lot of exercise is living in an apartment, and just doesn't bother to put in the effort to make sure that dog's requirements are met, then they should look more into a breed that doesn't need what the owner isn't willing to give (one more suited to their lifestlye), or should just not own a dog.
I agree. But, people DO put dogs in apt's like you just mentioned ... so "any" dog able to live in apt's is simply not true.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
I agree. But, people DO put dogs in apt's like you just mentioned ... so "any" dog able to live in apt's is simply not true.
Yes, but potentially, any breed could do well in an apartment, that's what I'm getting at. It all depends on the owner. Some dogs don't do well regardless, doesn't have to be strictly apartments, even if the owner has a huge house on 10 acre fenced farm. The owner has to realize and do what is required for the specific dog.

It's all very well saying you'll do what it takes, following through with it is a different matter in some cases.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 PM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

Also, I'd like to mention ... if people would be educating NOT to promote certain breeds IE; cattle dogs in an apt for instance in a city. It would be helping this great breed. To keep Sara my cattle dog in a city appt all her life with a crate and a few long walks a day and 2 cups of food ... I'd be killing the Cattle Dog's whole idea of being a "free roam beast herder". Even those words should scare off any apt loving owner who dares be neglectful. It's an accident waiting to happen ... whose child will it be... who will be liable? Shame RR ... for you to insult my intellligentz once again.

Ohhh wait ... I forgot I'm Sioux ... so I'm on the dogs side. After all the Dingo was a mighty fellow.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Someone in our development (with a fenced yard) has a Rottweiler. It sits in the yard all day and all night. Whenever we walk by, it runs from one end to the other barking like crazy throwing itself against the fence.

Just because they have a home with land and a fenced yard doesn't make them ideal owners. Give me a break, if people are devoted enough, just about any dog can do well in an apartment.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Also, I'd like to mention ... if people would be educating NOT to promote certain breeds IE; cattle dogs in an apt for instance in a city. It would be helping this great breed. To keep Sara my cattle dog in a city appt all her life with a crate and a few long walks a day and 2 cups of food ... I'd be killing the Cattle Dog's whole idea of being a "free roam beast herder". Even those words should scare off any apt loving owner who dares be neglectful. It's an accident waiting to happen ... whose child will it be... who will be liable? Shame RR ... for you to insult my intellligentz once again.

Ohhh wait ... I forgot I'm Sioux ... so I'm on the dogs side. After all the Dingo was a mighty fellow.
I have a collie in the city. So I'm ruinging it? This dog gets more excersise and mental stimulation then 5 city dogs put together. He is at the dog park atleast 3 hous a day playing with dogs and hiking (This is a 1000+ acre park, 3 towns own it as it rolls in to all of them) in the woods. He goes outside and plays ball/catch with me. Or back yadr is maybe 20x20 feet, a small town house. So really not much different then living ina apartment. So I have ruined him?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Someone in our development (with a fenced yard) has a Rottweiler. It sits in the yard all day and all night. Whenever we walk by, it runs from one end to the other barking like crazy throwing itself against the fence.

Just because they have a home with land and a fenced yard doesn't make them ideal owners. Give me a break, if people are devoted enough, just about any dog can do well in an apartment.
Exactly.
Just as it is possible to be able to properly exercise a dog when living in an apartment, it is also possible to neglect a dog when living in a house. It's all about the amount of effort you're willing to put into your dog, no matter the living situation. I live in a small studio room in a house with a backyard but no fence. There is enough room for my bed, my couch, and a desk. Not big at all. YET I can successfully live with two large dogs, one being a puppy, without a problem. Physical and mental stimulation are key.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 PM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

Quote:
This dog gets more excersise and mental stimulation then 5 city dogs put together.
Exactly. Your one of five and I'd bet even 1/20 with your 3 hours everyday for a city dog.

What is like mentioned here on other threads "first time owners" and "any".. "in an apt".

This is the reason for all the dogs put to sleep who have "bad temperments" or who have mortally done a deed to a human.

This is my last post on this one ... I disagree that "any" breed can live in an apt.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:49 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Quote:
RR, my opinion isn't "blanketed". It's the truth.
It would help if you understood how to use the English language. A BLANKET STATEMENT (not "blanketed") is a statement intended to:
1 : cover all members of a group or class <a blanket wage increase>, or
2 : is effective or applicable in all instances

Such as your statement that
Quote:
I disagree with any breed living in an apt. For some dogs long walks just don't cut it.
For those of us who understand and are fluent in English, your statement above indicates that you believe that no dog should live in an apartment.

Can you explain what this jumble of words means?
Quote:
Your broadcasting of quality working lines and "any" dog living in an apt's is ridiculousy "blanketed" in my opinion. Sorry.
Quote:
Also, the "any" dog able to live in apt's is the reason why unstable temperments is a problem in city shelters. Again just my opinion.
What on EARTH is this above statement supposed to mean?