Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

When I was researching getting a Saint Bernard pup I visited a breeder who KNOWS a lot of very good quality Bernese Mtn. Dog breeders. She told me that the cancer rate in Berners has sky rocketed out of control and that so many get cancer She also told me that they are now resorting to using frozen semen from dead dogs from many, many years ago to try and re-introduce non-cancer genes back into the breed. So sad as these dogs are wonderful in a lot of ways. They just seem so happy and loving and so beautiful. I would say, if you do decide on one, do your research and ask your breeder about the rate of cancer in his/her lines. I will say however, if you let health problems stop you from getting the breed you love, then I would not get a dog because unfortunatley they all have their issues. Poor babies...they don't deserve it
Old 06-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Big Dog

I know there is a recent thread about this topic but I wanted to mention it here too, it's sad to see a breed go downhill (whether mentally or medically, or both) once its popularity booms and more and more irresponsible breeders enter the picture....
Old 06-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Big Dog

I know there is a recent thread about this topic but I wanted to mention it here too, it's sad to see a breed go downhill (whether mentally or medically, or both) once its popularity booms and more and more irresponsible breeders enter the picture....but if you do your research and make sure you go through an experienced, reputable breeder, you should be able to get a great companion you can share at least 8 or so years with.

**edit***
sorry for the double post, my computer is being moody