Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

I'm not a small dog fancier , but all my Goldens got along with dogs of any size . It was the small dogs that terrorized them ! I had a lost pug here for 2 days and boy was Ollie glad when I found a home for him !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Squishy22

I currently live with my mother and sister. My sister has a 7 pound adult female chihuahua and I have a 45 pound male pit bull who is about 7 months old. They do great together. They have been together since my dog was 6 weeks old. They constantly play around. Sometimes the chihuahua will yip and thats when I tell Reggin to be easy. He knows what that means and he listens. The chihuahua is very dominant to my pit bull. sometimes she puts reggin in his place when he gets too rough, lol.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

One of our members had a Chihuahua and a bullmastiff, I just thought this video was the cutest thing, they really can learn to be gentle with each other.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bv5Jo4-OKiU

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Your Mom

I have a boisterous Alapaha puppy who can play with the small dogs any day! Basically she was raised playing with adult dogs of all sizes who had no problem correcting the hell out of her if she got out of hand. We use her now, at 8 months, to introduce all new dogs to the kennel. Her doggy communication is spot on and she can tailor her play style to any dog she is playing with. She was brought up going to daycare 5+ days a week from the time she was 9 weeks old. I believe that this is why my 50 pound puppy can play with the 90 pound GSD and then immediately switch to playing with a 12 pound Doxie.

In addition you need to be sure that BOTH of your dogs are super socialized with all dogs of all sizes. It helps if you choose a puppy (if that's the route you're going) who is outgoing and curious, but not super pushy or scared. Though those dogs CAN learn how to play appropriately, it's easier if they already have an easy going temperament to begin with.

I would also stay away from larger breeds with a high prey drive. Though many can live peacefully with small dogs, I have heard of far too many stories of that larger dog one day killing the smaller dog because hey, prey drive is a natural instinct and though you can suppress a natural instinct to a certain extent, you can NEVER train it out of a dog.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

I have two big GSDs and a med. sized Doxie. They get along just fine for the most part. Some times the GSD pup gets a little pushy and the doxie tells him off before we can.

It was not to hard to train everyone to get along but when we got the doxie our first GSD was 5 y/o and well trained. He already knew how to play gentally because he grew up around little kids. We also got our GSD puppy a few months ago from that experince I would have to say I liked introducing a older big dog to a little dog.

As for walking everyone together I think it depends on the breeds and the dogs. While my doxie would love to go on walks with the GSDs he just can't if we go on big walks. He's got 3 inch legs and is a quarter of the size of them, he ends up jogging to keep up with them at a walk. Then again I do have complete oposites, I think aretriever mix and a papillon would be more alike than mine are.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

I have a tiny toy poodle, and a Great Pyrenees puppy. Constant supervision is required in our house, because when Baby wants to pl ay, she is reallly rough and tumble. Poor Jessie gets caught underneath her all the time. Baby loves it.