Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Show Dog

Default Wolfdog??

Would you ever get one or do you think it's to much.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Harley & Abby

I would never get a wolfdog (wolf hybrid) as I don't believe in owning wolves, or part wolves. Wolfdogs still have very strong wolf instincts and I really don't think they should be bred in the first place - they need a lot of space and social interaction with other dogs, and their actions are less predictable than domestic dogs.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

I don't see any reason to. If you like the look there are several breeds that look like wolves. Wolves (and some wolfdogs) are not Domestic animals and should not be kept as pets in my opinion.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

No, I don't promote this kind of breeding.
Most persons who say they have owned a nice docile Wolf Hybrid probably did not have a wolf Hybrid. To think we have so many wonderful breeds of dogs in this world there is no need of this type of breeding. I think some people are just clueless or are looking for some thing to win the respect of their peers, since they can't do it themselves they try to do it with certain dogs.
One more thing I find amusing; this happens up in Northern Canada a lot; they advertise some husky pup's as having wolf blood in them. People for some reason "think" they will be stronger bigger boned faster etc. Nothing could be further from the truth, a dog sled team would be handicapped with a wolf or wolf cross (if you could get a wolf or wolf cross to get that close to other dogs in the first place). It's a marketing ploy to get people to buy these Husky's and then the person makes money off an unplanned litter, and the new owner "thinks" they have a wolf cross. It's quite funny and happens A LOT.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:31 AM
user not active

Never,

I dont see a point. There is nothing it can do better then my current dog
Old 06-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Felurian

My Bimmer was an accident and he and his littermates were abandoned at a farm. He's an exception to most wolf crosses, but I believe it is in large part due to him being mostly German Shepherd. That urge to nurture that comes with a good Shepherd seems to mitigate - and even enhance in some ways - many of the wolfy traits that could be not only undesireable but unstable in another cross. d

He is an accident that ended happily, but by and large the people who breed wolf/dog crosses on purpose are highly suspect and should be shunned.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-01-2005, 11:55 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Thumbs down A wolf is not a dog

i worked at a place called CAnine Security for one month..one month of seeing dog he!!. Candian timberwolves kept in a pen..fed an inferior diet..kept on dirt and gravel. It was more depressing then words can begin to describe. This is where your wolf dogs start from. IF you think that is the way life should be....then get your self a wolf dog. This man was on the news a few years ago..a special about his "new breed" ..i saw a dog die there in it's own feces.........just remember that. I could write a heck of lot more but i wont. The only reason i stayed as long as i did..was you were to be paid on comission..i was not only in charge of feeding the wolves and cleaning their worm infested pen..i also had a thousand geese to take care of..i left before the month was completely overwith..without pay. I tried to report only to find that this man was "head of the humane society" in this small town..now wasn't that just sweet? no one was allowed down to the pens..and i snooped..that is where i saw things i never want to remember again.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
My Bimmer was an accident and he and his littermates were abandoned at a farm. He's an exception to most wolf crosses, but I believe it is in large part due to him being mostly German Shepherd. That urge to nurture that comes with a good Shepherd seems to mitigate - and even enhance in some ways - many of the wolfy traits that could be not only undesireable but unstable in another cross.
I am just curious, not being rude at all But, how do you know Bimmer was a wolf cross? Wolves will not normally mate with a lone dog, especially when travelling in pack. It could happen only if there just happened to be a lone wolf that met upon a dog in heat. That doesn't happen as often as people say it does. Even if the pups looked wolfy, that does not prove any thing, I know one line of Purebred Shepherds that look more wolfy than dog...they don't have any wolf in them at all, you can trace their blood lines.
I think that is the most famous of all lines a country person gives to people looking for a pup. I hear it all the time, the pups have wolf in them when in reality they have no wolf and the person who had the accidental litter uses this ploy to get rid of the pups. There is nothing more romantic to a person, or build up their self esteem than having a dog they can say has wolf in it. This also is bad publicity for people who "heard" that Wolf/Shepherd crosses are wonderful and actually purchase a real one and find they took on a challenge that is much too much for them. It can also be very dangerous.

I never believe a dog has wolf in it by some one who "tells" me the female got loose and was bred by a wolf. How do they know? do they have pictures, or do they keep the wolf on premises for breeding? I would only believe it if the person can produce DNA test, or show me the male wolf on site.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

smkie, I would go higher up than your local Humane society. Get this place looked at with a surprise visit. I have a few friends who work with the SPCA, they can and will do spot checks on anyone that has been reported. Go higher, even the big people can and will be found and charged with animal cruelity.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athe
smkie, I would go higher up than your local Humane society. Get this place looked at with a surprise visit. I have a few friends who work with the SPCA, they can and will do spot checks on anyone that has been reported. Go higher, even the big people can and will be found and charged with animal cruelity.
Good idea.