Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Also wondering why dogs can get ear infections in only one ear, especially since I thought this was yeast from her allergies. Wouldn't it affect both?
I don't know why it is, but my vet says it's pretty common. My Lab mix, Beauty, has allergies that cause her left ear to get inflamed. Once that happens it is very easy for yeast or bacteria to set up an infection, so I've learned to flush her ear at the first sign of a problem. That way she never gets to the point of needing vet visits and meds anymore.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
So Herschel...Sage has been on the Blue Power ear wash for about three days now...2x a day. I've totally mastered the art of flushing her ear (she was NOT having it the first few times) Just wondering how long the treatment will take to show SIGNIFICANT change. So far alot of gross colored gunk has been comming out and she hasn't been itching it near as much. It's a little more red and inflamed looking though(maybe the alchohol just irritating?)

Also wondering why dogs can get ear infections in only one ear, especially since I thought this was yeast from her allergies. Wouldn't it affect both?
Sorry, I totally missed this!

In about a week you will notice that the gross colored stuff stops coming out. Don't stop washing! Continue with the entire series and by the end of one month, you should be good to go.

Are you heating the solution up before you give it to her? That will help a LOT with the discomfort. Herschel ran from the Vet Solutions stuff but he just accepted his fate with Blue Power Wash.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Good news....I can totally see an improvement now! The gunk is comming out less and less and she's barely itching them at all. This stuff is like magic! I do heat it...well I put the squirter in a a cup of warm water to warm it to at least to room temp. I've come up with a system which involves wrapping her in a towel nice and tight so she feels secure..placing her on her back in between my legs with her ear facing up toward me, covering the rest of her face with the towel and then filling up her ear canal and rubbing for 60 sec. Then she shakes it all out and runs around all stoked. I feed her breakfast/dinner after so she knows something good comes out of it. On Friday it will be a week of doing it 2x a day. Then I start with once a day right?

I just want to thank you again for telling me about this stuff Herschel, I totally avoided the vet and she's doing great. I love that
Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I just want to thank you again for telling me about this stuff Herschel, I totally avoided the vet and she's doing great. I love that
You're very welcome. I learned about that stuff from Chaz, too. I was so skeptical but it works better than anything!

Just stick to the schedule exactly as it is written. We don't even think about cleaning our dogs ears anymore--we just do it whenever we remember and no more than once/month.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:07 PM

I came online just to say that I would never consider a home remedy if I thought my dog had a true ear infection. that needs the immediate care of a vet. sorry, but the 'washes' are great for cleansing......NOT for home infection treatment. I suspect you think you've cleared up the problem, but IF..IF it is a true infection you haven't. it is inexpensive to take your dog for this type of problem. go to the vet, please.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Gunnar will get a kind of crusty ear from time to time. He'll scratch at it, then that causes it to get inflamed, then it'll itch more, he scratches more. A bad cycle.

I wash it out with some vet type wash, clean it real good with moist towelettes, and then use bacitracin ointment. It takes about 2 days to clear it up this way. I'm not sure if it's an infection though, more likely just irritated from dirt and stuff from playing.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 PM

DanL, I do the same...those shepherd ears are sticking up like radar for dirt. BUT, I'm saying IF this is a true infection, it needs vet checked. if/when the dog shows signs of distress or pain, it is in need of immediate medical attention. a person or dog can have a bacterial infection without pain, but that doesn't mean it isn't serious. I'd just like people to understand the difference between cleansing gunk out and suspecting an infection is present. to the original poster.....why did you first suspect it as an 'infection'? were there other signs, like shaking the head side to side? or holding the head at an angle? or seeming to be off balance? THAT is what needs medical treatment. IF you just think it's gunky dirt build-up, then state it as such.

Last edited by Debi; 08-03-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

I notice when this happens to Gunnar, he will keep that one ear cocked to the side.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

I agree debbie except that I know it's just a build up of yeast from her allergies. It's not painful to her, just itchy and bothersome. The wash isn't exactly a JUST a wash, if you go to the link herschel gave me earlier in the thread, the ingrediants inculde an intibiotic antifungal that does a great job with killing bacteria especially from yeast. If it was a sudden and painful ear infection that I had no idea the cause, I'd take her to the vet. But this stuff is amazing...no joke.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I agree debbie except that I know it's just a build up of yeast from her allergies. It's not painful to her, just itchy and bothersome. The wash isn't exactly a JUST a wash, if you go to the link herschel gave me earlier in the thread, the ingrediants inculde an intibiotic antifungal that does a great job with killing bacteria especially from yeast. If it was a sudden and painful ear infection that I had no idea the cause, I'd take her to the vet. But this stuff is amazing...no joke.
Bump for visibility.