Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Top Dog

Default Treating an ear infection...

Ok, so I know Sage has an ear infection starting in her left ear due to her seasonaly allergies...I'm guessing she's getting a little yeasty
So instead of going to vet and getting a prescription for Ottomax or some other ointment I'd like to treat it myself. She's never had any ear issues before but I've heard you can cleanse the ear with water/vinegar mix. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. What part vinegar? What part water? Can you really use alcohol too? (read that somewhere) Also do you completely flush or simply swab/wipe them? Thanks guys!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Have you heard of Blue Power Wash?

Herschel used to get really gunky ears when he was a puppy. We took him to the vet, paid $50 for his ears to be swabbed and checked for mites, and bought a $12 bottle of Vet Solutions Ear Cleaner to clean them out. The stuff cleaned out all of the gunk, but Herschel cried while we were doing it and obviously hated the stuff (he ran when he saw the bottle). We cleaned them every other day to keep on top of things. After two months, we saw no real benefit. The solution didn't treat the problem, it just cleaned gunk out.

Then, I saw a post on here for Blue Power Wash. I was extremely skeptical and my girlfriend almost denied me from using it. It seems kind of sketchy, the ingredients are hard to find, and the website listing it is hokey, to say the least.

Well, Herschel has perfectly clean ears now and I swab them out once every month or two. Even after he gets wet he doesn't have any problems with scratching at them and they don't smell at all.

It sounds unbelievable, but here it is:
http://itsfortheanimals.com/BLUE.HTM

Try a Google search for "Blue Power Wash" and you'll see that people all over the place swear by it.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

Thanks! That sounds like exactly what I need. I'm having a hard time finding out where I can order and how much it is. But I found a site that shows you how to make the mixture yourself. What do you think...

http://www.epiphanymastiffs.com/blue_power.html
Old 07-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

The only way you can get it is to make it yourself!

I had a hard time finding the ingredients locally so I ended up ordering them online. I bought all of that a year ago and I have enough left to make at least 2 more bottles.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

oh haha! I thought you could buy it, now that I'm reading over your post again I see you said the ingrediants were hard to find...woops. Which ones were the hardest to find?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Gentian Violet
Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

Alright, well I will do a quick search around here but I have a feeling I'll be going the same route you did. Thank you so much for the advice herschel
Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

So Herschel...Sage has been on the Blue Power ear wash for about three days now...2x a day. I've totally mastered the art of flushing her ear (she was NOT having it the first few times) Just wondering how long the treatment will take to show SIGNIFICANT change. So far alot of gross colored gunk has been comming out and she hasn't been itching it near as much. It's a little more red and inflamed looking though(maybe the alchohol just irritating?)

Also wondering why dogs can get ear infections in only one ear, especially since I thought this was yeast from her allergies. Wouldn't it affect both?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

bump bump
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Personally I like a vet to diagnose the problem and go from there . Could be mites, wax , or anything ! Ollie had an irritation that only needed a wash and then ointment . Now if he seems bothered ... I repeat and it's gone in a day .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/