Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
...If it's an issue of not enough space...

... At this point, I'd definitely take a few trips to the local shelter with your dad and visit the mutts. I'm very excited for you! I hope this all comes to fruition!...
I don't believe it would be an issue of space, though I am getting a small yard. But I think it will be ok.

I would love to go, but I don't need to. I have like 1 or 2 months until we get a house and another month to get a dog. It's a long time, which kind of sucks .

Anyways, is there any dog that would be good for me? (I am just seeing any other choices. I'm not sure if my mom is to enthusiastic about getting a Greyhound.)
Old 06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Oh, and also I heard that greyhounds dig holes. Will there be a way to train them to not dig so our yard won't get all torn up?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
no touchy

Most all dogs dig holes. Colby digs holes just for pure pleasure at times, others to hunt for mice. My lab, May, digs holes to lay in the cool dirt during the summer. You can teach a dog not to dig, but that's by teaching him WHERE to dig. Fencing off a small area, leaving an opening, where your dog CAN dig is a good idea. Whenever you find him digging outside of his "spot" say, "NO!" and redirect his behavior to the appropriate digging spot. Try burying toys are treats in his spot to make him interested.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

You've got time to go slowly and find the right heart dog for you.. BTW, tell your Mom they don't call female dogs b*tches for nothing !!! I personally like male dogs.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

I just don't want to be falling in holes, lol. Also, incase we sell the house, my parents wouldn't want a bunch of holes.

that's a good idea, gaddy.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
... BTW, tell your Mom they don't call female dogs b*tches for nothing !!! I personally like male dogs.
lol, that's true. yeah, I prefer male dogs over than female. I don't know why, but when ever I picture a dog, I always picture a male one... probably because I am a boy, lol
Old 06-02-2005, 07:23 PM
no touchy

My three are all females and I love them to death, they're great dogs. However, females can be a bit bossy at times.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

I guess I should start visiting some breeders, to see which one hits my heart. I have just been telling my friends that I would get a dog, but haven't really been visiting any breeders. I should do what what creature teacher says to do, and visit my local shelter and check out some Greyhounds.

BTW I thought it was a little funny. I told my friend, Bennet, (who LOVES Australian Shepherds) that I might get a greyhound instead of a Mini Aussie. He was so surprised! He tried to convince into having me getting one (I think he just wants to play with my dog) saying "Ppl say that those dogs are hard to take care of, but really they aren't. They're actually easy... You should still get the Australian Shepherd, and not the Greyhound."

At that moment, I realized he just wants me to buy a dog he wants, so he can play with it.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
My three are all females and I love them to death, they're great dogs. However, females can be a bit bossy at times.
Yeah, I have met female dogs that were bossy, but I thought it was just that particular breed. I have been reading about dogs, and I must say, all of these different dogs all have their unique personalities!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
Most all dogs dig holes. Colby digs holes just for pure pleasure at times, others to hunt for mice. My lab, May, digs holes to lay in the cool dirt during the summer. You can teach a dog not to dig, but that's by teaching him WHERE to dig. Fencing off a small area, leaving an opening, where your dog CAN dig is a good idea. Whenever you find him digging outside of his "spot" say, "NO!" and redirect his behavior to the appropriate digging spot. Try burying toys are treats in his spot to make him interested.
All dogs like to dig holes... it's just part of being a dog. My Eli used to dig holes to lay in because of the cool earth. Others dug just to dig. It's not a breed thing. You can always cover them up later.