Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Just try me..

Both of those breeds, Misty, are fairly easy breeds. I would recommend a good GSD or a golden in a heart beat as first dogs.

One of the reasons there are so many JRTs in rescue, is because people think they can handle them. Yes even some people who do the research etc. (tho those dogs end up back at the breeders) Some even are experience dog owners. There is no comparison in owning a golden and owning a JRT.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Taxiderpy

Dekka, I agree 100%. Though with shepherds there is a world of difference between a Czech GSD from border patrol lines, and an American bred dog from from service dog lines. Service dog reject puppies of most any breed/mix would make awesome first dogs for a lot of people out there as they already have got the temperament and health right there. Most American GSDs I would recommend to a beginner in a heartbeat, as long as folks are cautious about health. They tend to have the working drive bred out of them, and make fine companions. The Czech dogs though, they are closer to mals in temperament.

I can't remember if anybody mentioned it, but Akitas also come to mind as a first timer no no.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
But most first time owners don't know what they can handle when it happens. They might think they can handle a high energy or dog aggressive breed, but when faced with the reality, find out they can't.

I agree that anyone who has owned dogs is more likely to be able to decide what they can handle and what they can't.
i think a lot of people who have owned dogs in the past choose poorly when selecting a new dog. some people learn to deal with that dog, and some people don't. i think a lot has to do with the willingness of the owner to adapt, learn, and work with the dog. having owned dogs already doesn't automagically make you a good owner or a responsible one.

it's always seemed kinda dumb to me to tell people they need to get a beginner breed dog when what they've had their heart set on for years is x breed. why get a dog, a creature that you're going to be making a 12+ year commitment to, on the basis that it's a good "starter" dog? i do, however, thoroughly believe that you need to go into things with your eyes open, and i'm a huge fan of adopting an adult dog with a known temperament instead of a pup.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Fishies!

Sure, if the person is dead set on a "difficult" breed I'm not going to say they shouldn't have it. Still, I hope that they have actually met several of that breed before deciding on it.

I guess that goes for anyone bringing home a new breed for the most part, which is in part why Labs/Goldens/GSDs are a good choice, most people will have met several of them even without putting effort into meeting them.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
<--------Orson

Dobermans...........definitely NOT a first time dog owner breed. They are strong willed and stubborn. Not to mention high energy, high prey drive, and did I mention strong willed?? If you don't take control of them........they WILL take control of you (this is typically speaking of course)

Could a first time owner adjust and learn with ANY breed.........maybe, but you probably shouldn't jump in the deep end without getting your feet wet, it's normally the dog that pays the price if you do.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
I think it depends on the owner. I think a really dedicated person who really does the research and does everything right can handle a lot of the dogs everyone has said are 'off limits'. I think it depends on the person more so then the breed.

~Tucker
Thank you
I did what many are saying no one should ever do.
German Shepherd (Working Lines/West German Showline X) puppy as my first dog.

What I was/am is committed, a sponge for knowledge and willing to work, work, work, and work some more.

It's been a fabulous 3 years and hopefully next year will bring pup #2

Oh and did I mention all the training classes I took the first year and a half?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
I'm sure they can be, its just that they are not "typical" dogs.
That is a VERY good point. Greyhounds make a fantastic first dog . . . as long as you are a cat/deer person. Wally is NOTHING like the other dogs I have owned and fostered (Akita mix, Dutch Shepherd, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, pit bulls, Dogue de Bordeaux, Dashchund, etc). He is a fantastic "first dog" for any family that doesn't want a dog. LOL!

Oh and I second (third? fourth? whatever) the bully, terrier, and guardian breeds.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 07-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Pres. Of Gutter Club.....

honestly shar pei arnt for first time owners usually

I know the secret handshake!!![
Nolu's mindsoap ... known by all not used by many...
Chat is amazing for this reason....
[darkchild16] I love my stick
[TheWonderPuppies] does it have batteries
[TheWonderPuppies] *ducks*
[darkchild16] OH GOD I DID NOT MEANT HAT
Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I definitely think that terriers are NOT good dogs for first time owners.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Even though Lucas was my first dog, Malamute I'd say are definitely on the list that are not for first time dog owners!