Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Default not for beginners

What breeds would you say are definitely NOT for a person who has never owned a dog? You know dogs that need an owner who really knows dogs inside and out and can control them very well, Someone with experience.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Salty Sea Dog

terriers and bully breeds are the first that come to mind as "not for beginners" breeds

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Taxiderpy

Puppies. I would recommend any person who has never owned a dog before start with an older dog, period. Unless they had someone experienced to mentor them.

But breed specific, I would have to go with mastiff types, bull types, terriers, malinois, huskies. I would be very cautious about GSDs too, although there is so much variation in the breed now there's probably one for every type of person out there. The only exception I can think of to those listed above would be a boston bull terrier. Every one I have met was smart, balanced, sensitive, and trained really well despite their owners shortcomings in the communication with dogs department.

Last edited by Romy; 07-25-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

Australian Shepherds are not for the beginner. I learned the hard way, haha....Although Khaki is the 4th dog I've had, I was not prepared to take on this breed...It's worked out great though, don't know what I would do without her now....

Herding breeds in general are not good for beginners....They can and will easily out smart ya....
Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Just try me..

Absolutely no JRTs!! Most shouldnt be owned by experienced owners either.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Fishies!

Guardian Dogs or Fighting dog types. Its hard enough raising the first dog without worrying about aggression to people or dogs. Of course any dog can be aggressive, but I think its best to take the safer route and avoid the breeds bred for it.

Independent dogs, Saluki, Husky, Mals, and even Greyhounds, especially if someone is looking for their Lassie or classic family dog. They don't always do their obedience thing well and are not the classic dog that people think about.

If they really understand the dog though, I don't think either catagory I posted is really out. If someone met a few Rotties and knows its the breed for them, fine, but there are additional concerns (size, bybs, aggression) that could be more easily avoided with other breeds. Similarly a hound would be ok if the person getting the dog truly understands that they are not labs or collies or something like that!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Just try me..

I dunno...I know so many people (including greyhound people) who swear sight hounds make great first dogs.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
I dunno...I know so many people (including greyhound people) who swear sight hounds make great first dogs.
Retired racing greyhounds make great first dogs imo. Possibly whippets too, but I would say a definite no to salukis.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Fishies!

I'm sure they can be, its just that they are not "typical" dogs.

I've found that when people want their first dog they are usually thinking of bouncy obedience prospect types, labs, goldens, spaniels, etc. The Greyhound might be a better first dog than any of them, but only if the person is expecting the sighthound personality, the independence, prey drive, and the slowness in training that many exhibit.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

OK so assuming someone wanted a big or giant dog (60 pounds and up) what breeds WOULD be OK for the new dog owner. Since most Mastiff breeds are out and sight hounds and herders what is there to choose from (I know labs and goldens but other than that).

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!