dog will not move if on leash

My dog will not move if i put him on a leash. I tried putting him on a leash but he didnt move so i tried dragging him, but even after that he didnt want to walk so i just picked him up. He is only a puppy so i didnt want to be to harsh by dragging him for to long on the leash. This is continuing to be a problem for him and it can be a bit frustrating at times.

This isn't unusual and isn't typically difficult to overcome. Start putting his leash on him when you're home with him in the house and just let him drag it around with him. You can gradually start doing things with it, like picking it up and taking him to his food, holding it while you play his favorite game or while you give him a good rub on his favorite spot.

Looking ahead, you might also consider getting him a halter and getting him used to that. It makes it much easier for you to teach him not to pull on the leash.

MEG126

when my golden, penny was a puppy (she's three now) she hated leashes too. she didn't really grasp the concept of it and would try and jump all over the place trying to get it off. we hadn't put a leash on her as a really little puppy, so i suppose the concept was confusing to her. you could keep a leash on him in the house (while you're supervising him of course) and let him drag it around with him when he's playin so he can get used to it.

my friend has an australian shephard and beagle cross (shelbie, she kind of looks like a jack russell) and when she was really really little, they always kept her on a leash, even when they were in the house so that if she was chewing on something she wasn't supposed to, they could correct her immediately. it was also really helpful with house training.

i think the main thing is to keep taking him on walks, so he doesn't learn that he can get out of it by being stubborn. you could consider taking little treats with you too and dropping them in front of him to encourage him to move forward and when he does walk forward, try and keep him going without the treats. you just want to be careful that he doesn't become to expect a treat when he's walking. that's my my dog did, except we would bring treats with us to get her to stop jumping on us and so we'd be walking and she'd start to jump and as soon as we stopped walking she'd sit down because she knew that if she sat she'd get a treat. but as long as your careful with it, you should be fine. just try and be as patient as possible (i know it's hard, my dog drove me insane when we were training her) and encourage and praise him a lot so the experience is fun for him.

what breed of dog do you have and old is he? hope this is helpful! :)

iky

I know exactlly what you going through jiggaman.

Codi was always fine with a leash, he is now 4 months old and if I put his leash on, he just refuses to move and he sits and cries until I take his leash off. What I do now is when I put on his leash I give him a treat, and praise him for being so good, and I just walk around with him at home, let him know that the leash is not coming off...he is now starting to become use to the leash again.

I dont know why he just suddenly stopped liking his leash, but then again, Codi has a will of his own, and has a very big attitude if you do something he doesnt like. They are like children, and you have to treat them like children :D

You guys will get a laugh out of this.

Charlie didn't see a need to get Buffy (our first Fila) used to having something around her neck, or walking on a leash. You should have seen his reaction when I tied a bandana around her neck to get her used to having something on! "She's a FARM DOG, not a city dog and FARM DOGS don't wear silly scarves!" (lol) Oh, he was indignant. It took me a few minutes to get him calmed down to tell him why I'd put it on her. (Funny thing, though, he got a kick out of her wearing a pair of magenta metallic sunglasses. Men!)

Well, when she was about 6 months old and big as a horse and strong as an ox on steriods, we needed to put her on a leash to take her somewhere. She went berserk! She jumped, she bucked, she snarled, she growled, she bit the leash . . . no make that attacked the leash, slavering and vicious. When I got over my shock I resisted the impulse to tell him, "see, that's why I put the bandana on her!" The look on his face was priceless . . . he was the one holding the leash. We got her calmed down and I spent about 20 minutes walking her around the yard, getting her used to being on it before we could leave. After that she was fine, but what an experience!

hankejp

I found this thread to be VERY helpful. I just started with the collar and leash last night and was worried when she didn't move in the snow last night. Now I see that this can be normal behavior for a puppy. She will be tugging a leash around with her tongiht in the house.

Members online

No members online now.