Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 06-02-2005, 12:12 PM
no touchy

I do not believe that walking a dog on the sidewalk is a dog owner's privilege. It is our right. I have three dogs, and guess where we walk? On the sidewalk. Where little children and elderly people walk, too. I have just as much right to walk on the darn sidewalk as anyone else does, and so do my dogs. But I do believe that if you are in an area where there are other people (and dangers such as cars, and there are leash-laws), your dog should be leashed. Period. My dogs are walked off-leash in a field which is near a bikepath. They are well trained and come on command, besides, they're too busy sniffing and hunting to bug anyone on the path.

Quote:
You have no right to endanger people or children if you own a dog that is out of control..then that is your responsibility to ensure the safety of other people...its not their responsibility to watch out for your dog or take precautions of their own.
I agree with this. My dogs are all very well-trained and absolutely LOVE kids (they'd rahter cover their faces in kisses that bite them). My dogs walk on loose-lead, my BC mix Tippy and my canaan mix Colby like to walk a little bit in front of me while my lab, May, prefers to stick to me like glue. If someone seems to be weary of my dogs, or is passing by us (the sidewalk is only about 2 3/4 feet wide), I shorten the leads or put the dogs in heel position until that person has passed.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 PM
no touchy

Quote:
I assure you, most dog owners pay tax dollars as well. Im sure you didnt mean that joggers should be careless and at times simply stupid while enjoying community? Common courtesy hasnt hurt anyone yet as far as I know.
I do not believe the jogger was being careless. He was simply taking a jog, as he had always done, and the dog ran up behind him and attacked him. The dog had apparently escaped from his yard, and was off-lead. The owners apparently did not know that the dog had escaped, and the jogger did not know that the dog was out, off-lead. When you go out to take a dog, you don't expect for a dog to be running around off-leash, and for it to attack you.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:35 PM
mostly ignored...

I don't think the issue here anymore is about this one attack. It is about peoples respect for the fact that we moved in and changed dogs. We take them into our houses and treat them like family. We took their wide open spaces and made them our own, sidewalks included. If anyone is being an intruder it is us. What is wrong with animals being in cities. They used to be forests. And what is wrong with me taking my dog on a backpacking trip in a national park? He's well trained and doesn't chase animals I say to leave alone. But someone somewhere raised a friggin stink because their twerpy little asthmatic 12 year old freaked out because they were in the park and saw a dog. Maybe not even an owned dog, just a wandering dog. And it scared him and his imbicile mother who was walking on the trail in high heels and declaring what a disgusting place the forest was and how they should cut it down and build somcthing civilized like a shopping mall. People with money control this stupid world and the people lobbying against our dogs have it. The kind of people who don't like dogs have either a)been attacked by them or b) just don't think animals deserve the right to occupy THEIR space if they don't want them to. That is how wolves became endangered, along with so many other animals. what now, the family dog? Some people won't be happy until every creature that isn't human or a little foofy prissy purse dog is done for. I'm sick of it. People suck. I vote that since barring Adam dogs were here first before us they have just as much right to live as stupid joggers who don't look where they are going and idiot dog owners who don't train their dogs.

also this particular case it might not have been the joggers fault but why did it get media coverage?!! He didn't even need stitches!!!!!! OH yeah, lets bash those big evil dogs in the media again, make more people scared then they already are. Sounds like an AWESOME idea.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnypup
yeah, lets bash those big evil dogs in the media again, make more people scared then they already are. Sounds like an AWESOME idea.
Exactly...we enjoy the culture of fear here in the USA. Watch the Movie "Bowling for Columbine" and you'll understand what I mean.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Puppy Dog

quote from sunny
"I vote that since barring Adam dogs were here first before us"

Actually GOD created ALL the animals first and mankind last

MY FAMILY
MY GALLERY

FEED AN ANIMAL FOR FREE
Old 06-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

My mom would go on a rant if she saw this! She will rarely go to a park where dogs are allowed. She is a bird watching fanatic and goes on long expensive trips to do it. I've heard her complaining abut the dogs disturbing the birds many times(you'd get pissed if you spent 5000 to go see some bird and it flew away while fi fis owner is chasing her down). When we were out west the one time a dog got loose and went after a buffalo.I think it is the bad owners that ruined it, not the dog haters. There are some no dog parks around here to and I've never blamed them. There is a gorgoues one right down the street from me adn because of there garden they don't allow dogs.Never bothered me. I get them in the car and go to the other funner park anyway! Then again I have a hundred plus acres for my dogs in my back yard so lack of a park to take them to is no big deal.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 PM
mostly ignored...

When does it stop? When dogs aren't allowed. Period? I'm not willing to give the jogger the benifit of the doubt, neither am I the owners. I think this guy had MOTIVE for making a stink over a small knick to his belly. Not because he actually cared about some little girl getting bit. Lets face it, he probably would have run down a little girl if she was accidentally in his way. He wanted publicity. He wanted people to be scared of dogs because somewhere in his life he was taught to be scared of or disgusted by dogs. It's not a natural thing to hate animals. Infact an extreme hate of animals can be a sign that someone is a psychopath. People act like they own the world. It is disgusting. We're supposed to share. There shouldn't be a few thousand (million?) species extinct or endangered because people "need" to live in the forest, and then there is no more forest. People keep on encrouching on animals territory. WE BROUGHT THESE ANIMALS INTO OUR HOMES. It isn't their fault. Maybe the dog thought he was doing a GOOD thing? Sure the owner might be a dip but heck, find a few acres not used up by nitwits with money just keeping it around "in case" instead of using it for something useful, build some cheap dog houses, and put all the "dangerous" dogs(the ones that attack) there after they are fixed. We atleast give convicted criminals that courteousy. I won't say that animals are on the same level as humans. Given the choice between my own child (if I ever have one) and my dog if the house was burning down I would have to vote my child on the basis that a) my dog could probably find his own way out and b) geeze oh, I gave birth to or atleast adopted my child, and could potentially be found criminally negligent if I could have saved him. But anyway. Back to my point they atleast deserve what we give our own lowest of low, 3 meals a day, a roof over their heads and some chance for fun. I am sick of the "I have money so I deserve better then you " attitude. So what if mom pays 5000 to go see a friggen bird. I'm sorry, if you have that kind of money to throw away go do something useful with it and make the world a better place. Don't go complain because a dog is doing what a dog does in HIS environment. It is humans that made a show, a spectical of animalsWe need to adapt. Animals have been doing it for thousands of years. Instead of adapting to them we eradicate them one "nusince species" at a time. I'm sorry but my dog is NOT going to be next on that list.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

to me if this dog is 10 yrs old and never done it before maybe it was A FREAK THING maybe something trigggered in his mind, family dogs just dont attack ppl. ithink this may only be a one time thing, but ppl must take precautions!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

The "I can do anything with my dog" attitude is why they are not allowed. What is wrong with walking the dog somewhere else. Horses are natural and I can't take them to every park I go to. They would be great at a lot of them. I think your attitude is kinda sucky. Dogs are not wolfs anymore. Those are already at the parks.There are real wild animals there that are affected by what we bring in including our dogs. I don't think by banning dogs at a national park anyone is trying to erradicate dogs as a species or make you suffer. Get over it. Did I say becaue i have money i am better than you? Errrr... no! Neither does that mean I magically get to walk my dog in the park The park has to think of not only every animal living there but every person that will visit and they impact they will have on it.

Now if someone comes to your house and says you can't walk your dog outside of your house,then you can worry.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

joce are you telling this to me or to the person that started this topic?