Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Puppy Dog

what are BYB's? I've heard of puppy mills and was told to stay away. But I honestly don't have a clear picture on either.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Papers mean nothing if you don't know the true background of your dog. You pup could be a carrier of congenital defects, and may pass them on to his puppies. How would you feel if his puppies had serious health problems beginning at the age of 2?

Statistically, only 30***37; of all puppies stay in their forever home. Are you willing to take back two thirds of every litter he sires at any point in those dogs' lives?

There are SO many pet quality dogs in shelters... hundreds of thousands of cute and well behaved dogs are put to sleep every year because there just aren't enough homes.

Because the world is so vastly over populated with dogs (both purebreeds and mixes), it is very important for only the best of the best to be bred. I believe that only the best representatives of the breed should be bred (whether they are shown or worked to prove their breed worthiness).

Please neuter your boy and keep him as a pet. There is really no need for more BYB bred pups with health problems.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchnhoney View Post
what are BYB's? I've heard of puppy mills and was told to stay away. But I honestly don't have a clear picture on either.
A BYB is a backyard breeder. This is a person who doesn't breed for the right reasons- doesn't show, doesn't health test... they breed to make cute puppies, make money, breed to show their children the miracle of life, or breed because they love their dogs and do not realize the harm they are doing.

A puppymill is a place where a lot of puppies are being produced... usually many different breeds. The dogs are unsocialized and usually kept in dirty conditions. The puppies are normally sold in petshops and the internet.

Here is a list of what to look for in a responsible breeder:

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

I don't even know how someone could select a mate for their dog without it's pedigree? How could you determine your goals or look at the genetic traits of your dog's ancestors?

Papers don't = quality, but any quality dog (from a breeding standpoint) will have them along with other titles and accomplishments and not to mention health testing certifications.

If you really want to breed dogs, do it the responsible way. Find a mentor who breeds quality dogs. Buy a dog from them, title it and health test it and then select a mate based on goals and pedigree with their supervision and advice.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
BYB's are Back Yard Breeders Basically lucky down the street who is owned by Joe wants to breed his dog to a female two streets over without doing any health testing, conformation, etc. just to make a few bucks and let his dog mate....That's the best example I could come up with for now Puppymills are self explanatory really, someone who owns multiple breeds stacked in crates as a way of income only and GREED to line their own pockets without even caring about the parents health or quality of life. I know that those aren't your intentions or you wouldn't be asking so many questions and willing to learn
Old 07-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

The only thing you can do is go back to the original owners and ask if they have any registration papers on the dog . With registration #s , you could contact AKC for a Pedigree for showing . After proving your dog , and spending about $350 for health testings , you MIGHT consider . By now you would have had about $1000. or more into your dog which you won't recoup ! Enjoy what you have and forget about breeding .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
I just love the breed and get so many people with offers for me to breed my dog, that I can't deny it is very tempting.
I hear you on that one. I've had so many requests to breed my girl that it makes my head spin. The problem is, most of the people who will just come up and ask you that have no business breeding. They make snap decisions because they like the way a dog looks, or think he's got a cute temperament, that they really don't bother to ask the questions that people should ask before they go breeding dogs. Its a commitment, and many view it as a way to make some extra cash or entertain themselves.

Either way, hope you make the right decision.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

You could always go under the wing of a good show breeder, have your own dog neutered, and then wait until later to see if it is still something you want to do.

It's not rainbows and bluebirds, ever. It's a lot of worry, a lot of mess, a lot of stress, and it can be a lot of money. And it takes patience, there are not many homes that are really qualified to own a Parson Russell.

My Polyvore
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Active Pup

Please, please do not breed your dog. I understand that it is tempting for many people to breed their dog because they think their dog is beautiful and has a great personality. Unfortunately this isn't a good enough reason to breed a dog. Yes, there are some genetic tests available, but there are a number of diseases out there for which reliable testing is not yet available.

There is much more that goes into reputable breeding that you clearly aren't trained in (and I don't mean that as a bad thing....I'm not either, but I would never breed any dog at my current level of experience). Unless you are a very experienced person who has worked closely training with reputable breeders (people who have dogs with champion conformation titles, and also have experience in at least one of the other fields such as obedience, agility, herding, etc...) then it is irresponsible to bring more puppies into the world.

The only excuse for breeding when there are millions of animals laying around in shelters and many being killed every day would be that you are experienced and certain that you will be contributing to the health and temperament of the breed.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Before (and even AFTER) I neutered Shippo, I had many people asking me if I would breed him for them. That doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. I had a person offer me MONEY to BUY him once! Doesn't mean I'm going to sell lmao...

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog