Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Puppy Dog

Default How do you get papers on a rescue dog?

I rescued a Jack Russel from Mississippi a year ago and he is the best dog you could ever have and I really want to breed him but I know how important papers are when you breed. I recently heard of a new thing where you take a sample of their DNA (through a cotton swab) and it will tell you what your dog is. If it comes out a full blooded dog you can register it. Is this true or is it just a rumor? If it is true want associations accept this? ( AKC, ACA. CKC)
Old 07-22-2007, 01:18 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Not true that you can register him, not with AKC anyway. The likelihood that your dog should really be bred is very slim. the lack of pedigree history makes it impossible for you to check health screenings back in his line, or to know at all what is back there.

Most dogs, probably including yours, should not be bred. Enjoy and love him as your pet, and forget about breeding him.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Dafuq?

You would not be able to get legitimate papers on a rescue dog. Its worth mentioning, too, that reputable people looking for stud service are going to want to see what your dog has done to prove his breed-worthiness. (Is that even a word?) They are also likely to ask about his pedigree so they can know what kind of genetics are behind him, which unfortunately you would not know unless you had legitimate papers on him and could trace his lineage.

Neuter him and enjoy him as a pet.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 07-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Response

There is a genetic test to find if my dog is a carrier of any diseases. Since he is three or more years old and has no health problems, including backward knees which I heard are a problem in his breed, I really don't think he has any problems. But I am going to get that test done before anything and I am getting a female jrt (registered with the AKC) but may neuter my male if I can't obtain papers. I just love the breed and get so many people with offers for me to breed my dog, that I can't deny it is very tempting.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

This disgusts me.
Why would you breed an unregistered, non-proven RESCUE?

How completely irresponsible.
Why even come here for advice when you have clearly already decided what you plan to do?

My Polyvore
Old 07-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Puppy Dog

I haven't already decided on breeding. I am toying with idea and rethinking it because of the comments before yours. I thank them for giving me polite responses and good advice. I did buy a female but I did state I would neuter my male. I never meant to "disgust you" But you are right I shouldn't be on this sight if I have to worry someone like you talking to me that way when all I wanted was some advice from people more experienced.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
This disgusts me.
Why would you breed an unregistered, non-proven RESCUE?

How completely irresponsible.
Why even come here for advice when you have clearly already decided what you plan to do?
Come on now, the least you can do is "educate" before you start getting rude with the OP .

Ranchnhoney, I would seroiusly not consider breeding him and neuter him which a "RESCUE" dog should of already been fixed anyways. Then set your sights on a very reputable breeder of the JRT breed and use them as your mentor if you really want to get into breeding..............
Old 07-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

I'm surprised what the rescue would say about you breeding their dog?

That being said, even if you did all the health testing on your dog, you have no way of knowing if his parents did not have any problem, that he might transfer to his puppies. That, and unless you show him, you won't know if he's a good specimen of the breed.

Same for the female, it's important to know that the whole line is genetic disease free before breeding. And same comment about showing.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Puppy Dog

can you put a dog in show without papers? and how strict are they with the training because ranch, my dog, is very good at behaving but I doubt I could ever get him to stand pretty on command. Also to clear things up, I am sorry about calling him a "rescue" dog. I didn't know that meant from a jrt rescue shelter. I rescued him from Miss. Where he was being starved, beaten and just out and out neglect. So I call him a rescue dog instead of a purchased dog. And thanks to all the nice informative comments I am not going to breed him even though I still would like to know more about that test. Just for curiosity.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchnhoney View Post
can you put a dog in show without papers? and how strict are they with the training because ranch, my dog, is very good at behaving but I doubt I could ever get him to stand pretty on command. Also to clear things up, I am sorry about calling him a "rescue" dog. I didn't know that meant from a jrt rescue shelter. I rescued him from Miss. Where he was being starved, beaten and just out and out neglect. So I call him a rescue dog instead of a purchased dog. And thanks to all the nice informative comments I am not going to breed him even though I still would like to know more about that test. Just for curiosity.
No, you can never put a dog in show/conformation without a pedigree and lineage history. I thought "rescue" meant shelter not necessarily JRT rescue. You are basically at a lost cause for Ranch to be shown or bred. I hope you do neuter him and focus more on learning and researching as much as you can before you breed any dog. BYB's are terrible people and puppymills are terrible places so please, stick around on Chaz and you will LEARN LOTS and what you need to know for a healthy dog/dogs .