Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-21-2007, 06:13 AM
CrAbS 4 WoRlD dOmInAtIoN!

Default For or against docking tails or cropping ears?

For or against docking tails or cropping ears?

Im myself against it,I think its cruel,and dogs were born how they were born,why play god and change that?!
But thats just my opinion.I understand others may have different ones.

Interested to hear you points of view,and NO FLAMIN'!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Just try me..

I am not strongly for it. But I do think people should see it done (in vets office) before they comment about how bad or good it is.

(we play god all the time with breeding, 'god' didn't create the breeds of dogs we have, people did)
Old 07-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Big Dog

If done properly by a licensed veterinarian, I'm ok with it. I personally have no issues with docking if done properly between 3 and 5 days of age. The pups feel momentary pain, and within minutes have forgotten all about it. The only things they care about after are eating and sleeping. I think it's all down to personal choice though, and what the dogs will be used for. A lot of working breeds have this done to prevent injury of the tail as adults, which is a much more painful surgery when the tail is fully formed. However, if you have a working breed that you aren't going to actually WORK, then I see no reason to do so. But, if you are getting a dog from a breeder, you may not have a choice as to if the dog is docked or not, it is their choice to do so or not. And in this case, I agree that the breeder should have the choice. I would hate to see it banned in my area.

I'm personally not a fan of ear cropping, if it involves any kind of cutting. The shaping I have no problem with though. I just see no point in causing such unnecessary pain, which unlike docking, does last a while. I can see people who show doing this, only because in some cases, it is standard to do so. Personally though, i'd like to see more "natural" eared dogs win at shows. Certain judges seem to favour the cropped ear in specific breeds. But I see no reason at all to crop unless the dog is shown, even then it's debatable for me.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

We have had this issue come up more than once on the board.........you may want to do a search My personal opinion, I like the way a pitbull or doberman looks with cropped ears better than natural. But I would rather my dog have a tail if I owned a rottweiler.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Top Dog

Personally, I would keep my dogs natural unless I was going to show.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i think it is a mutliation to appease the dog society of what they cannot change by breeding. I am sure if you asked the dog they would say absolutely not, they don't care so why should we? EArs are a sensitive lovely part of a dog, my favorite being the silky beauty of them, the expression they have as one of their ways to communicate. Why can't they be just as lovely With as they are to others without. It think it is the saddest thing and cannot look at a cropped ear without seeing it for what it is. Half or less of an ear to make people think they look better.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Big Dog

i think if a dog is akc registered and is going to be a show dog there tail should be docked but if it is just going to be a pet why bother its there love it with the rest of the dog
Old 07-21-2007, 08:36 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I think standards should be changed to allow dogs that are natural, personally. All the show talk makes it seem as if you absolutely have to cut the tails, and that is just wrong in my opinion.

I do not like ear cropping. I don't like the way it looks, I don't like the fact that a puppy is undergoing a serious (cosmetic) surgery. Spaying/neutering is the only surgery I want my dogs going through under my command (barring health issues).

My Polyvore
Old 07-21-2007, 08:40 AM
A guy with a dog

Absolutely against it. Just because it's a "show dog" doesn't mean it should be mutilated to please our whim. I think it's an absolutely absurd practice.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Show Dog

I am ok with Tail docking if done at the right time (3to5 days old) and at a vets office.I am against ear cropping because its done later and the pups do feel pain at that age and it takes time to heal.