Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-20-2007, 10:51 PM
HugABull's Avatar
HugABull HugABull is offline
Bully Breed Advocate
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Default

Just to add, it does well to note that there are breeds that are not docked that have identical tail styles and sets (as well as fringe if you're trying to use that argument) with no more injuries reported than undocked dogs of traditionally docked breeds.

It's just not a sound argument. Simple as that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 PM
noludoru's Avatar
noludoru noludoru is offline
Bored Now.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,582
Default

What makes you so quick to think I'll ignore everything you say? I'm not going to dismiss the site off the bat, but listening only to the information of someone (or an organization in this case) with something to gain is never wise.


But I'd love to hear of your personal experience in tail injuries to dogs who have shortly docked tails.

Edit: the page isn't loading for me. I'll try again tomorrow, it's probably my internet again.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-20-2007, 11:00 PM
happyhound's Avatar
happyhound happyhound is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugABull View Post
http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/page_27.htm
Actually quite a bit on that site all together that is rather interesting.
But, I'm sure you will probably dismiss it because just so happens to be a site against docking.


I also have proof in my own experiences, but I doubt that would be taken into account either.
I suggest you check out some bird hunter forums during hunting season. Lots of photos of bloodied tails and people asking how to prevent their pointers and setters from getting their tails broken open when in the field.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-20-2007, 11:18 PM
tessa_s212
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhound View Post
I suggest you check out some bird hunter forums during hunting season. Lots of photos of bloodied tails and people asking how to prevent their pointers and setters from getting their tails broken open when in the field.
I second this!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-20-2007, 11:46 PM
HugABull's Avatar
HugABull HugABull is offline
Bully Breed Advocate
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Default

I have seen the photos of damaged tails.
However, they are not higher than the number of undamaged tails. If they were, every dog with a tail would be docked. No hounds would have tails, Pointers would never have tails, especially spindley tailed English Pointers.

It's not logical, and I do not accept that as a reason to dock. I have nothing against the practice, but I do have something against the ignorant reasoning behind it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-20-2007, 11:50 PM
HugABull's Avatar
HugABull HugABull is offline
Bully Breed Advocate
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
What makes you so quick to think I'll ignore everything you say? I'm not going to dismiss the site off the bat, but listening only to the information of someone (or an organization in this case) with something to gain is never wise.


But I'd love to hear of your personal experience in tail injuries to dogs who have shortly docked tails.

Edit: the page isn't loading for me. I'll try again tomorrow, it's probably my internet again.
That is why I expect it to be dismissed. Because it is an organization, and for some reason, even the most trusted are rarely trusted. As if someone sat there and made it all up just for the sake of 'proving' a point.


Anywho, I have had undocked herding breeds and hunting dogs who have never had tail injuries. I have had setters and the like, and all I did was keep the hair on their tail trimmed. Simple and effective. They got no injuries, and no more burrs than they got running around my yard on the rest of their bodies (actually they got more injuries on their legs than anywhere else, I guess I should have cut those off too). The only dog I have ever seen with a serious tail injury was a mix of unknown origin, so it couldn't have been breed related, and I live in an area with a ton of hunters and hunting dogs (specifically here, setters are a favourite).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 AM
happyhound's Avatar
happyhound happyhound is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugABull View Post
I have seen the photos of damaged tails.
However, they are not higher than the number of undamaged tails. If they were, every dog with a tail would be docked. No hounds would have tails, Pointers would never have tails, especially spindley tailed English Pointers.

It's not logical, and I do not accept that as a reason to dock. I have nothing against the practice, but I do have something against the ignorant reasoning behind it.
Um, are you serious? Do you think every dog in the world is put out into a situation where it is more likely to have its tail damaged? No. So of course there are going to be more long tailers without injuries. I have 2 dogs with tails and neither have gotten damaged. They are also companion animals.. they do not go into situations where they are more likely to damage their tails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugABull View Post
Just to add, it does well to note that there are breeds that are not docked that have identical tail styles and sets (as well as fringe if you're trying to use that argument) with no more injuries reported than undocked dogs of traditionally docked breeds.

It's just not a sound argument. Simple as that.
Did you consider the fact that different breeds may <gasp> have different jobs? There are different factors that may cause one dog to damage its tail and not the other.


I'd like to know what magic hat you pull your information out of because I'd like one too.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-21-2007, 12:13 AM
happyhound's Avatar
happyhound happyhound is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugABull View Post
That is why I expect it to be dismissed. Because it is an organization, and for some reason, even the most trusted are rarely trusted. As if someone sat there and made it all up just for the sake of 'proving' a point.

Did you consider that maybe people form their opinions after reading more than one source? The "anti-docking alliance" is obviously going to be biased toward one side. Really doesn't make sense to try to make an informed opinion on a subject after just reading one side of the story...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-21-2007, 01:45 AM
HugABull's Avatar
HugABull HugABull is offline
Bully Breed Advocate
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhound View Post
Did you consider that maybe people form their opinions after reading more than one source? The "anti-docking alliance" is obviously going to be biased toward one side. Really doesn't make sense to try to make an informed opinion on a subject after just reading one side of the story...
As I said, that article is not their story. If you read, I bet you'd see that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 AM
HugABull's Avatar
HugABull HugABull is offline
Bully Breed Advocate
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 30
Default

As for the different jobs comment...I specifically use groups as an example. Meaning, they have the same jobs. So, no, that argument against my post makes no sense, sorry.

No sense in getting snotty, talking nonsense about magic hats, just because you do not share my viewpoint. That's rather childish.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site