She was killed today

T

tessa_s212

This is young little Lacy way back when she was jsut a very young pup. She was small, smart, eager to listen and please. All she needed was someone to exercise, train, and love her.

She was adopted out. Now is is over a year old and dumped back at the shelter, owners claiming she was "too hyper"(perhaps because they ignored and never exercised her), "untrainable" (again, perhaps should have actually TRIED to train her), and runs off too much(lets hear it one more time, maybe theyshould have exercised her!).

And today, given only the small chance that someone would want a jumping, barking, circling, energetic dog that loves to pull on the leash and doesn't even know to sit, she was sent off to be euthanized.

They killed her. And when I say "they", I do not mean the actual individuals that put that needle into her injecting the substance that would end her life quickly and painlessly while perhaps even holding that sweet girl tight in their arms fighting back tears.. no, not them. I am talking about the ignorant individuals that neglected this dog. It is they.. they are the ones that killed this dog.

Anger won't help the matter. It was mere ignorance, not purposeful abuse... but my heart is torn for this dog. I was not able to save her. I could blame myself, I could blame the previous owners, or maybe I should go all the way back to blaming the people that bred this puppy in the first place.

Yes, there are many to blame, and many do share an important role in this dog's death..

and that is why I must continue to do my best to educate. And one will never do so with blame, anger or hatred. No, I will not feel hate. No, I will not be angry at anyone. No, I will not even let myself blame and point fingers even if those idnividuals so rightly deserve it. I will feel immensely sad for this particular dog as well as the many like her, and if I ever run into those owners(whether it be the owners that actually owned this dog, or the many more out there that simply are just as ignorant), I will do nothing more than do my best to kindly educate them. I only hope I am presented with this opportunity more often and do not fail.

bubbatd

Fly free Lucy !!! Unfortunately thousands joined you today . I hope you all find happiness at The Bridge ..............R.I.P.

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Great post Tessa. We can only hope that one day the more intelligent life forms on planet earth will learn from the lesser intelligent ones.

Giny

I'm so sorry Lacy. :(

I'm sorry that your breeder let you down by being neglectful when bringing you in this world.

I'm sorry that the people who first cherished when you were a puppy let you down by not giving you proper care and a forever home to live in as a family member.

Very touching post, Tess. Puts a face on the dogs we kill everyday. :(

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
That is so sad. RIP, Lacy :(

Great post, Tessa. Hopefully people will read this and think twice before buying from irresponsible breeders.

BSan

That is so sad Tessa. Hope Lacy is with Tiga on rainbow bridge. The same thing happened to Tiga, a beautiful full of energy sweet, funny, dog my daughter fostered while she was in college. She just needed some time, love, and training. I commend you for your committment to educating, despite your feelings.

SharkBait

and if I ever run into those owners(whether it be the owners that actually owned this dog, or the many more out there that simply are just as ignorant), I will do nothing more than do my best to kindly educate them.
I admire you for that, cause I if i was you and i bumped into the owners, i think i'd do something more along the lines of what they did to Lacy... :mad:

Elizabetty

This is just too sad. She was not even given a chance to learn how to be a well mannered dog. It is the owner's ignorance that made this happen. She was a beautiful dog. Keep educating people. Ignorance is not bliss. The shelter also needs to have the funds or have a person willing to help people who bring animals back because of behaviour problems to teach the owners how to help their dog. They didn't invest enough time in Lacy. Everyone failed Lacy.

goosey

Rest In Peace Lacy I hope your next life brings you more happiness than this one did. I hope that in your next life you receive the respect that you diserved.

Good on you Tessa.

I never read this before. How can anyone abandon a dog once they accept it into their family? I think those of you who do rescue work are heroic, because you can care about these animals without becoming too attached, therefore giving them another chance.

Phoenixangelwyngs

Zookeeper Extraordinaire!
This is why three of my babies are shelter adoptees. One had been there THREE MONTHS before I found him. They were going to euthanize my Xander-bee.

It's heart-wrenching what people do every day to so many lovely and wonderful souls because we don't pay attention to anyone other than ourselves.

Rest peacefully Lacy. You have far too much company... maybe someday soon we'll learn.

Members online

No members online now.