Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Best commercial dog food to you

I currently feed my pit/boxer mix proplan chicken and rice formula which is very good for him. His coat is shiny hes ALWAYS energetic and it dosent just run through him like some other dog foods but ive been hearing on past dog food threads that it isnt good. So if you dont think its good could you tell me others? Or might i be too late to change his diet hes about 3 months old.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:16 PM
no touchy

Brands like Innova and Calfornia Natural, Merrick, and Canidae are very good.

It's not too late to change his diet. . It's never too late .
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Quigleyfied

it's never too late to switch to a better diet!

not taking special individual needs into consideration, my top pick are foods made by natura pet products,simply for the outstanding product quality, excellent business ethics and truth in advertising of this company.

if you want to learn more about how to tell apart the good and bad foods, click on my signature.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 05-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Puppy Dog

Yeah but is proplan chicken and rice formula THAT bad? It cost 30 dollars and my moms boyfriend which is a dog trainer says its top of the line. My mom also you can only get proplan at petsmart stores.

Last edited by Bulloxer01; 05-30-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

Unfortunately, a high price doesn't mean high quality. ProPlan is a Purina product, and Purina is owned by the Nestle corporation, just as big and evil as corporations get. Companies like these could care less about the health of our animals. The key to corporate pet food is spend less, charge more. The profit is all they care about. Actual nutrition is the last thing they think of. Have your mom read this: http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm
Old 05-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Puppy Dog

So since it is owned by purina i isnt good for dogs? Just as it said in the article price dosent always indicate a good product but the price is often a good indicator of quality. It would be impossible for a company that sells a generic brand of dog food at $9.95 for a 40-lb. bag to use quality protein and grain in its food. The cost of purchasing quality ingredients would be much higher than the selling price.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulloxer01
Yeah but is proplan chicken and rice formula THAT bad? It cost 30 dollars and my moms boyfriend which is a dog trainer says its top of the line. My mom also you can only get proplan at petsmart stores.
They sell Pro Plan and Iams at WalMart here . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Yeah but is proplan chicken and rice formula THAT bad?
yes it is. it's not a quality food, period.

Quote:
It cost 30 dollars and my moms boyfriend which is a dog trainer says its top of the line.
while price can be and indicator, ingredient quality is much, much more important. you can find poor quality foods at extremely high prices (just look at science diet), but most true high-end foods are in a similar price range to each other. and just because someone is a dog trainer doesn't mean they know a lot about dog nutrition - these are two completely unrelated fields.

Quote:
My mom also you can only get proplan at petsmart stores.
you can find purina products at many stores, including feed stores. if you are limited to brands available at petsmart, the best food they sell is the blue buffalo line, but in my opinion that is overpriced and there are less pricy high-end products on the market, but generally you will not find them at big chain stores, with the exception of natural balance, which is available at petco.

Quote:
So since it is owned by purina i isnt good for dogs?
in a nutshell, yes. i'm not aware of a single quality product on the market that is made by purina.

Quote:
Just as it said in the article price dosent always indicate a good product but the price is often a good indicator of quality. It would be impossible for a company that sells a generic brand of dog food at $9.95 for a 40-lb. bag to use quality protein and grain in its food. The cost of purchasing quality ingredients would be much higher than the selling price.
i think you misunderstood that a little. there are many poor quality products on the market that are more expensive than true high quality products - science diet is a good example for that scenario. however, to come back to pro plan, it's made from second rate ingredients and contains only around 14-22% meat, why would you want to feed something like that to a dog, who is a meat eater by nature?
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Puppy Dog

i posted that straight form the article