Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Dog Show Addict

Just to add into it..

They tend to get overweight easily - DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!! Being a rather large dog to start - if they become overweight it puts extra stress onto their joints and them you are looking at surgery to replace things.

We've had a few Bernese and Newfs in for crutiate surfery repairs b/c of them gaining too much weight quickly.

Keep them trim and active and you'll do great.

and DO NOT EVER SHAVE... Their coat is there for a reason.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 08-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Island dweller

I've always thought that Newfies are great with kids. Mav is a cross but he is a very relaxed, happy, easy going dog and he's always been very gentle with kids. Actual he seems to know exactly when to be gentle. I'll never forget when he, as a young pup, was bouncing next to me on a walk and a handicapped woman asked if she could pet my dog. I was a bit worried because he was so hyper and still tended to jump up on people but he very slowly leaned forward when she leaned down and she said 'give me a kiss' and he licked her face. I don't teach that to my dogs. Never have never will. I don't like getting licked on my face at all but he knew. It was really sweet.

He's big, he's hairy and sometimes he drools but not like a pb. His tail knocks things over and if he comes in wet and muddy he'll paint the walls with his tail.

But I'll always want one. Especially with kids.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Taxiderpy

I've only met one newfie but he was extremely gentle and calm. Great with just about any child that walked up to him.

Wasn't the dog, Nana, from Peter Pan a newfie?