Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 AM
IL Dog Freak

Question Komondor Owners

I hoping that some of you own a Komondor and you can tell me personally about them. Iím a single mom and my son is 11. We currently have a German Shepherd who is almost 6 and a Golden Retriever who will be 4 on Christmas.

I havenít been thrilled with what Iíve been able to find out about them online. Each internet site says something different and donít agree with each other. If you own or have owned a Komondor, can you please tell me about your dog? Did you prefer male or female? How are they with other dogs? With kids? With living in a house (most are working dogs)? Temperament? Shedding?

Anything would be helpful!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

They are working dogs and not very common at all. I don't think it would be a good idea to get one unless its going to be doing guardian or livestock work.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

Hi there... I am familiar with the breed. Not for everyone and not always a good pet for children. They need to work, require a lot of training, a lot of socialization and a lot of grooming. This is a corded breed, unless you plan on keeping it in a kennel cut, and it takes years of proper care for the cords to grow to full length. Unfortunately, for a really good Komondor, it would be rare to find a breeder selling to a pet home. We have a wonderful breeder here in my area, that I've shown a Puli against. She's very knowledgeable about multiple breeds, but especially her own. Occasionally, she has a rescue to place. Google Anne Quigley. I'll try to find her website, in the meantime.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:42 PM
IL Dog Freak

I saw this breed when I was surfing the AKC site for larger breeds and though it was amazing since it was so different. I've never seen any here in IL and actually even on the farms in different states - usually the GP is what I see on the farms. I was hoping to find out more and see how hard it really is to raise them in a home enviroment. I'm not afraid to put in the time, I've done rescue work and have had 2 newborn litters of 9 in each litter 2 weeks apart that I had to bottle feed. I have a tiny home when you consider having 20+ dogs in the house, so it's a good size but not for that many dogs.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 AM
CrAbS 4 WoRlD dOmInAtIoN!

Hello, dogmation.
Got ya elf a new account eh?

NOBODY ANSWER.
DON'T FEED THE TROLL.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4eva View Post
Hello, dogmation.
Got ya elf a new account eh?

NOBODY ANSWER.
DON'T FEED THE TROLL.
I don't think this is dogmation. Dogmation doesn't bother replying to its own threads.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Top Dog

Totally confused, why is this person being called dogmation?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:31 AM
IL Dog Freak

If you're calling me dogmation, I've only used one name on here. Simplymisty. You should be able to go back for months to see my posts and responses when I start a thread.

I only have this posted so many times with the different breed names because when I had it together as one post, I didn't get a lot of responses. I was hoping by starting new threads w/ the different dog names I'd get a better response.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

Komondor Club of America:

http://clubs.akc.org/kca/
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
IL Dog Freak

Thanks Herschel & otch1. As much as I think this dog would be great, living in a home probably wouldn't be best and the breeders I've talked to, will only allow their puppies to go to working homes.