Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Big Dog

I did a quick google and found a couple of articles. A study was done at the Univ of Washington (where the MDR1 mutation was discovered) in 2001. They believe only about 1% of BC's are carriers of the mutated MDR1. Also, in 2006, 362 BC's were tested at UC Davis, and only 1 had the mutated gene. It's pedigree was unknown, so it was not included in the results. I guess that should make me feel better about ivermectin, but it still nags me a little.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Dog Show Addict

heavyjay - I know that there have been imporvements in the development in the ivermectin medications..

but honestly, I still do not trust it and will never give it to any of my herding breeds.

Its up to you if you'd like to switch to the selamectin type prevenative. If your dog hasn't had a reaction yet, I wouldn't be too worried - buit again, if it was me I'd go onto a selamectin product.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 08-12-2007, 01:07 PM
ĜȫƝ ₩īĿ

I travel alot with my dogs to beaches and different states where heartworms are thriving.
There is a simple native remedy for the prevention and or to expel (all) worms.
Mix in a pill crusher a dash of Rue, Wormwood, a Clove and Neem till you have a teaspoon full for a large dog. Give once a month.
I'm sure there's websites explaining what exactly these herbs do, this remedy was around long before pharmaceuticals.
I use it faithfully. Good Luck.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Big Dog

Thanks Outline, Summer and Melissa for the replies. Baloo got his first Heartguard 3 days ago, so I have time to decide, though I'll most likely switch to something else. I'm definitely going to look for a new vet though. This place seemed more interested in pushing products than anything else. I left there with Heartguard, Frontline and a free 5 lb bag of Science Diet (junk, I know). I'm ok with the Frontline, but he could have at least offered an alternative heartworm preventive. Unless he has professional blinders on, there's no way he's never heard about herding breeds and ivermectin toxicosis.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Kinda odd. Every time I've been in, to three clinics in three years for hw testing/ meds they've always asked me what preventative I wanted. If I ask pros/cons they'll suggest products.. but it's always been my choice..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 08-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Great news he tested negative for heartworms Thank you JESUS!!! I was a wreck about this. The vet put him on heartgard plus but when I got home and looked at the package it is for dogs 50-100 lbs He is 130lbs am I supposed to make up the difference with another smaller dose pack or just keep him on the 50-100? How long should I watch him for side effects? Has any experienced any side effects with Heartgard plus? Thanks for all of your help.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Top Dog

Mine were all on Interseptor and when over 100# were put on an additonal lower dose pill . My vet had cases of heartworm when just below the line . For some reason they don't care for heartguard plus . Know how relieved you must feel !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

I wonder why your vet does not like Heartgard I thought Heartgard plus was good this really has me wondering now. Well he is on Frontline plus for fleas so I'm not sure what heartworm preventatives will go with that? The vet is calling tomorrow with the thyroid results and I am going to ask about the dosage. If there is a better heartworm preventative than Heartgard I would like to switch him.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Top Dog

I talked to my vet and he said I should use the 51-100lb and the 26-50lb tablets once a month since he is 130lbs give or take a few. I just want to check with you guys to see what you think do you think this is to much medicine?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Top Dog

That's what Bubba was on .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/