Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Spot the Difference!

I have had, over the years, some dogs with very bad allergies and systems sensitive to many things. But I would not risk heartworm. I had no problems with my highly-allergic dogs on Heartguard Plus and on Sentinel heartworm preventives. Heartworm tests in my area (Midwest US) are $45, dont know what the normal rate is that is what I pay. I test annually; ordinarily it gets cold enough here and after the second hard freeze I will wait until early spring to go back on preventive, but we have had some flooding this year and the mosquitos are horrible so I have already decided my gang will be on preventive for the next year and a half solid.

~THANKYOU Brattina88 for my signature!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Dog Show Addict

If your that worried about him having a reaction to the medication - then keep him in the vets office AFTER you apply it for at least 30min, let the vet know about your worries - ask them what possible symptoms are...

I haven't heard of any dogs reacting to heartworm medication. Usually only "herding breeds" have problems with the Ivermectin ingredient thats in HeartGuard - other then that the Selamectin is safe for them though which is found in Revolution.
Because your dog is a Golden, I wouldn't have much worry about it.

At my work they charge $44 for a test and then the prevenative has price differences depending on the brand of choice for you.

We also require testing done once every two years.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Top Dog

Tests at my vet are $26. I've never had any reactions with my Goldens on K 9 Advantix.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Thanks he has an appointment set up for his thyroid testing on August 1 so I am going to have him tested then. I did some reading about the medicines and I like the sounds of Interceptor and Revolution but I will leave it up to the vet. I wish I could bring him in sooner but I am low on money now so I will just be worrying for a few weeks.

Over the years my parents and I have had so many dogs I would not even be able to begin to count them. We also used to breed German Shepherds and they were outside in Kennels and none of our dogs ever had heartworms that we knew of. They lived full healthy lives so I never worried about my dog I just figured it was such a rare thing for a dog to get heartworms but I saw something on TV about it and I did not realize how widespread it was. This is the first dog that I am personally responsible for so I want to do everything to make him happy and healthy.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

I'm glad you are concerned . My x-neighbors had a Husky with heartworm ....because he was dying they never groomed him .... just kept him tied out with food and water . After they left for work I'd give him TLC and try to keep the flies off him . Luckily they moved before I saw any more suffering .

Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I'm glad you are concerned . My x-neighbors had a Husky with heartworm ....because he was dying they never groomed him .... just kept him tied out with food and water . After they left for work I'd give him TLC and try to keep the flies off him . Luckily they moved before I saw any more suffering .
That is horrible! I can't believe people would do something like that. I love my dog and would do anything for him. Hopefully they burn in hell for what they did I can't stand any type of cruelty to animals.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

Okay I have an appointment for him Monday for the heartworm test and I am scared to death I am literally sick now that I have done some reading on this. I had no clue it was so easy to catch. He is an inside dog and at night he just goes out for a quick pee. What do you think the chances are that he has it? Do you think it's like a 50/50 chance? Does it sound like he is more likely not to have it? Anyway pray for him and I will update as soon as I know anything.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Please do !!! My thoughts will be with you !!! Good luck !!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot View Post
Usually only "herding breeds" have problems with the Ivermectin ingredient thats in HeartGuard - other then that the Selamectin is safe for them though which is found in Revolution.
I'm not trying to jack someone else's thread, but the vet just gave us Heartguard for our 5 month old Border Collie. We had already given him the first month's dose when I read about the possible side effects of ivermectin on herding breeds, something about "hind limb ataxia." Should I switch him to one of the others that don't contain ivermectin?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjay View Post
I'm not trying to jack someone else's thread, but the vet just gave us Heartguard for our 5 month old Border Collie. We had already given him the first month's dose when I read about the possible side effects of ivermectin on herding breeds, something about "hind limb ataxia." Should I switch him to one of the others that don't contain ivermectin?
Its usually the "collies" breeds who are sensitive to it. Collies, Shelties, and some aussies. I use ivermectin on all of my dogs (ACD's and my mom's golden) Check online to find out if Border collies have the MDR1 test. This is a genetic test to find out if your dog has the gene that causes sensitivity to certain drugs. (Ivermectin/immodium etc)