Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Big Dog

Default Aussie's; When will she fill out?

We've had Gypsy since she was old enough to come home. She's a 2 year old blue merle, Australian Shepherd. I've seen her parents and her litter mates and they look like typical Aussies.

But Gypsy has not filled out yet! She has the coloring and everything but she's kind of scrawny looking (despite a good appetite). She doesn't have that stocky,thick body shape of an aussie and her fur isn't as long as it usually gets for aussies, expect around her hind legs.

Does anyone know when Aussies usually fill out? I figured by two she would look like the standard, but no such luck. I love her just the same, but was curious.

Thanks!

Thanks Keyodie!

Gypsy on Dogster!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Just try me..

A friend of mine has a really really tall lanky aussie. Neither of his parents were lanky, so I hear. I was wondering with him, if part of it was that she had him neutered really early. But he doesn't look like your typical aussie, but his temperment, and personality are awesome!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

A female Aussie's coat won't be as full as a males coat. Here's my female Aussie a couple of months ago. Khaki has filled out well, she's now 1.5 years old and weighs right at 40 pounds....As for her being thin, I don't know about that, how much does she weigh?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Are you dead yet?

Some Aussies have a lot less bone and coat than others, too. Those dogs will always look "scrawny" compared to an Aussie with a very long, fluffy coat and heavy bone.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Big Dog

Gypsy weighs about 35 pounds and her body shape looks very similar to your dog, JFrick, only your dog has much longer fur.

Thanks Keyodie!

Gypsy on Dogster!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Twin 2.0

She may start to fill out here soon, or she may always be a lanky Aussie. Sawyer was pretty lanky until he was about 2 1/2 though, so she just may need more time.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I run with scissors

I assume she is in good health and you have had her checked for worms?

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkichan View Post
Gypsy weighs about 35 pounds and her body shape looks very similar to your dog, JFrick, only your dog has much longer fur.
Gypsy is probably a late bloomer. I've been thinking for a while that Khaki is a bit thin, but her coat covers it up...I can tell that Khaki's coat is still coming in, not her full adult coat yet, so I'd say that Gypsy will fill out...
Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

all aussies are different,,do you know anything about her background other than parents? She may have more of a working coat on her.

my female aussie was lanky and had the "uglies" until she was around 1.5-2 and then her coat came in like gangbusters...My male on the other hand, has a coat like your khaki but he is out of stock dog lines .
diane
Old 07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Bored Now.

She definitely could be a late bloomer. Is she excessively tall? And when did you spay her? Often dogs that are speutered early are taller and have less bone.