Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Active Pup

Default Rottweilers and love

Hey, we've recently adopted a Rottweiler named Veeno, we've been noticing that he really doesn't seem to care for affection. When we pet him he always trys to move away, and doesnt get very excited at all when we see him for the first time in the day. My experience with dogs has always been them being open to any petting and attention, and i use to have a dog that got so excited to see me in the morning, that she would pee all over herself. So what's the deal here with Veeno?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:49 AM
user not active

Some dogs take alot of time to trust their owners. Depending on breed it could be few days, months or even a lifetime.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

For him, it may be a big adjustment coming into a new family...maybe causing him some stress. Do you know his past? Maybe he was neglected and it's outside of his aquired "comfort zone" to be too demonstrative. Give him time and let him come to you and make the overtures.... give a little, gentle encouragement without too much pushing into his "space." I bet he'll come around after a while. He'll learn that you are ALL about goodness, safety and that you are his provider of the things he needs. It takes time to develop a bond. When that gets going, I'm sure he'll latch onto you like most dogs. He is, after all, a pack animal and he NEEDS his family. It will all work out.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Felurian

Doberluv's right. Don't force things. Let him learn that you love him and that affection is a good thing. He's probably overwhelmed right now if he came from a situation that wasn't affectionate. It's not unusual for a dog like a Rottie to take some time to size up the situation either.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

I agree with everything that was said. He'll probably get more affectionate over time. Rotties are wonderful dogs, smart and sensitive. Just give him some time to mull over the situation and he'll come around. I'd love to see a picture!
Old 05-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Active Pup

Here are recent pics at 3 months.

Old 05-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Felurian

He's too darling for words, especially in that last photo where he's got his nose hidden.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Rotts don't change owners as easy as some breeds, it might just take some time too make the change. Rotts do not give their affection as easy as some dogs but when they do they are as loving and loyal as they come. They bond really tightly to their owners.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

Oh boy, I see where your problems come from. I'd be pretty eager to snuggle him too! Just gorgeous!
Old 05-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Big Dog

Thumbs up

I just read your post and had to register just for you and as a rottie owner I want to give you my thoughts. You have already been given awesome advice.
I rescue rotties, right now I have a 4 year old female I got last Monday, she had a rough past and I've just let her warm up to me, it's going to take a long time to trust but when they do look out, you wont be able to go to the bathroom alone, they want to be by your side all the time. I dont know if I'm allowed to refer you to a great rottie site but if you do a search on google and just research rottie forums there are 2-3 great ones he's a baby and you have alot to learn about the breed, they are very head strong and do have your pup nutered asap, better for him & you. I hope this helped a little. I cant wait to hear more

LOVE THE TAIL......