Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Well it's official

My youngest had his allergy appt yesterday and he tested allergic for dogs, and cats. I'm so unbelievably upset. We have a cat, we've had him longer than Andrew has been born, and the allergist is saying we can't keep him. My parents really want him, he's the best cat ever, and they are really attached to him because they spend a lot of time here. They don't have a cat, just a dog, who we babysit so her and Jax already know each other.

I was so overwhelmed with all of this, he tested positive for some food allergies too, egg, soy, and peanut butter. The egg and peanut aren't that big of a deal, but hydrogenated soy bean oil is in freaking everything!

Anyhow, I was so overwhelmed that I didn't ask all the questions that I needed to. I have a call in to them today to find out if I just need to remove the cat for a couple months and then try to re-introduce, or if he's just too allergic. I don't know what all these numbers mean.

I feel like I'm losing a kid, my cat is another child to me, I don't want to give up my cat, but how do I choose between them?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I run with scissors

Oh that's terrible! But at least your parents can take the cat so you can still see him.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Puppy Dog

I don't think I can see him for at least 8 weeks, because we are eliminating all allergens until September and seeing if he gets better. If he does, then we will re-introduce them one at a time. I'm not sure if he means the cat too, or just the foods. I'm really confused and overwhelmed.

The boys really wanted a dog too And so did I. I have always had pets, even with my allergies. I'm just so sad.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Water Junkie

I'm so sorry *hugs* I can't imagine what you are going through!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Top Dog

That sucks. Of course you have to choose the c hild. It is good that your parents can take him. At least y ou don 't have to go through the trauma of re homing. Good vibes to you.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Top Dog

It may be something he grows out of. As a child around 8yrs old I was named allergic to milk--so I could not have milk, cheese, ice cream (so no pizza, tacos, dilly bars)--pretty much everything I loved! I grew out of it though. y the time I was 12 I could have really small amounts and by the time I hit 14 or so I was no longer allergic at all...so maybe there's hope yet!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Salty Sea Dog

and so you know, dogs and cats arnt completly out in the future, there are Lots of breeds of dog that are great for those with allergies, they may not be the kind of breeds you origionally thought youd end up with but there just as wonderfull as any dog. (im a reacent chinese crested addict lol)

And cats there are a couple breeds that are also great for allergy sufferers (ie the rex breeds.)

good luck!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Bored Now.

Yes.. some breeds really are better on allergies..

I'm so sorry, hon. ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) If you do end up giving up yur kitty.. your parents, I'm sure, will be second-best.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Im so sorry I know it sucks. Im allergic to cats but have thankfully almost completely grown out of the allergy. When we first found out we just put our two cats outdoors. Which was fine since they were indoor outdoor cats to begin with. The had shelter on our back porch and lived out there entire lives healthy and happy.

I don't know if you want to do that with your cat now. Luckily I can live with cats indoors again as long as they airn't on my bed.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 07-10-2007, 06:12 PM
just call me Nilly

Aww don't lose hope! A lot of my friends are "severely allergic" to their pets, and they live quite comfortably! One friend was told by their doctor that he'd have to re-home his cat, and he pretty much said no way... then got a dog! lol He takes allergy medication, but gets on just fine! Another friend of mine has an "overactive immune system" (I can't remember the exact condition) and can go into anaphylaxis (sp?) from any of her allergies, including dust, or her three cats. She's kept them, and just monitors herself closely for any itchyness or onset of swelling. Now THAT'S serious, and if she can live with her cats, I'm sure your son will be okay