Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Felurian

I don't know why I didn't post this sooner! For an occasional treat as an alternative to rawhides, go to one of those bakery outlets that sell day-old stuff and get bagels. Let 'em get good and stale. The dogs love it!
Old 07-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

That is what I need...Orbee-Tuff bone. I had to stop giving Bula RawHides to chew on, not only because they are bad for her, but she almost choked on one. I had given her a really BIG bone, and she tore a strip off of it, and tried to swallow it hole. She came up to me on the couch and laid her head on my shoulder. I could hear her like wheezing. She could hardly breathe. So, I opened her mouth, and I could see a little bit of the rawhide in her throat, so I had to pull it out so she could breathe. Needless to say, we don't have rawhides in our house anymore.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Papillon Lover

And if you must give your dog rawhide, be certian to stay clear of the ones with the balls of rawhide on the ends. These can be chewed off and become a serious choking hazard.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I never even knew rawhides were so bad for dogs. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Active Pup

If rawhide is so bad for dogs whats an alternative. My last four dogs have been chew monsters while young and have lived long happy lives. I've always given them the retriever style thats maybe 12 in. long by 2in. in diameter. They would consume 2 or 3 of these per day sometimes (Always supervised). Other than pig ears I haven't found anything else they really like. They have a nylabone at the bottom of their toy box they never touch it.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Dog Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_ashmore
I never even knew rawhides were so bad for dogs. Thanks for the info.
Same here, I guess i should go invest in a hard rubber bone. Does anyone know if the Galileo bone is any good?
Old 07-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Felurian

I've heard some good things about them, especially for hard chewers. I got Shiva and Kharma a pair of Orbee-tuff bones made by Planet Dog. I don't expect that they're much good for cleaning teeth, but they love them. I know they've saved some things I really didn't want chewed! The texture is very squishy. I never would have believed how they hold up if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! Shiva the Great Destroyer hasn't even managed to leave a toothmark in them!

I'll leave you a link: www.planetdog.com
Old 07-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Ilio

i have heard that yes, rawhides are bad for dogs because the peices can be sharp and cut cut their intestines or they could be hard to digest.
LilyRose
Old 07-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Dog Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilio
i have heard that yes, rawhides are bad for dogs because the peices can be sharp and cut cut their intestines or they could be hard to digest.
LilyRose
Whoa I had no clue that they could cut intestines. Thats a scary thought.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Puppy Dog

Thank you Renee for the site. I will be shopping here often. I feel like a bad "mom" because I used to give cow hooves, which are awful for my pups and I have been giving them rawhides.....I feel terrible. I do also give pigs ears, are those safe? Thank you for having so many wonderful answers.....greatly appreciated!

Beth