Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview View Post
You are not alone in your views. At least some people still see the truth. I've done a lot of research on the Australia millers, and it's a sad situation.
What the he!! does your research on Australia's miller got to do with this dog? Have you done the research on the breeders of these dogs who hold themselves to a MUCH HIGHER standard than that of many AKC/CKC breeders? It's clear that like Cass, you have not.

Cass - I'm affraid that simply living in the country does not give one a birds eye view of anything - as is clear by your posts.

FYI - I've been working with the results of millers myself for more years than I care to count and more often than not with purebred dogs....WTH does that have to do with the op?

I'm sick to death of feeling lousy about every **** thing I read on here with respect to a dog that I DID RESEARCH/ took unusual steps to make sure that she came from a wonderful breeder. Her parents were both health tested to the nuts, her breeder donated a HUGE percentage of her puppies to work as guide dogs.

There are puppy millers for every breed, yours included and YES it's sickening.
As I've said before, 3 of my purebred dogs come from such places when I helped to close them down....it's horrible....AGAIN, WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL POST?????

I've posted link after link to support the fact that there are many Labradoodle breeders out there doing it not only right, but better than most. Funny that Grammy and others have seen, read, and commented on them without a negative word but you who have nothing good to say, never took the time to look.

Honestly, I'm beyond fed up with the crap that's posted at the very mention of a Labradoodle...

I've had it!!!

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I'm not a lover of curly haired moppet type dogs but I have seen a few cute ones . There are ALOT of Doodle's both lab and golden around here in Mass. I must see a good dozen or more at the places I take Caiza They all look very different. Never seen the same coat twice on one but I'm sure the majority are all from BYB'S................However, Sophie is very cute Doc, and I'm glad you did your research
Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I am really against breeding flavour of the month dogs, be they designer breeds or purebreds. These are the dogs that end up in shelters etc. But I find it extremly high handed for people to say all the breeds we have today are all the breeds that shall be allowed. Conformation shows and the notions of all these pure breeds is a relatively new one. (and one destined to ruin all these breeds if things continue on, but that is another essay)

If everyone who's dog had puppies was responsible for those puppies for their entire lives, we wouldn't have pets in shelters etc. The problem isn't the mixes, its the people who breed *any dogs* without accepting the responsibility of the lives they have caused to be brought into this world.

If people out there wish to create a goldendoodle breed, and go about it in a systematic, intelligent, and ethical way, then I am all for it. Diversity is good.
I wonder if we'd have some of the breeds so many people love today if generations past had been as chauvinistic as so many are now . . . For instance, how would one justify the creation of a breed that has no "purpose" other than as a companion? Like, say, the Chihuahua or the Pomeranian? Carry it a little further and try and figure out how to justify the existence of a vast array of purposeless humans . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
As for doodles and such...

a) If their dogs are health tested, and bred in a way to minimize dangers to the mothers health (ie not every year)

b) Puppies come with a proper guarantee against genetic disease (life) and puppy diseases (until it would be discovered) and

c) Demand return if the owners are incapable of keeping it, so that they do not get into the shelters then

I don't care what anyone breeds! Want to breed the flavor of the month? Well, if the health checks come back within the "month" and you have room and time in case they, and all the other "months" come back, why should I care? There will be homes and puppies in good health, which is all we can really ask for!
Glad to see some minds open . . . I understand you're not advocating willy-nilly, wholesale breeding of all sorts of mixes as long as the health checks come back and all the other ethical and responsible factors are met.

All of the hoopla over "championships" and falling within AKC/CKC/UKC ad nauseum specs makes me wonder if it's really not just a method of egotistically maintaining a stranglehold on the power to dictate arbitrary standards.

I met Maddie, I was very impressed with her and she was an absolute sweetheart with intelligence and good humor oozing out of every single hair follicle. So, suck it up and deal.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

I can understand the argument that most dog breeding should not be taking place because dog population needs to be controlled.

I can understand the argument that any dog breeding is okay as long as all health checks are done, anyone who can't keep a pup will return it to the breeder so that none end up in shelters, and all the other rules of responsible dog breeding.

I just have not seen the argument that explains why it's okay to breed purebreds, but it's unethical to breed mixed breeds.

The doodle that Renee met sounds like a wonderful dog. I tend to think companionship is one of the most important jobs dogs hold today......probably because that's the position my dog holds.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Fishies!

In my ideal world, all dogs would be working tested...

In this world I'll settle for a bunch of healthy poodle mixes if thats what the good homes want. I hope the other criteria in responsible breeding weed out most of the willynillyness, I'd imagine it would take quite a long time to examine pedigrees of TWO breeds and understand all the health risks in both breeds.

I don't see many responsible breeders pushing out purebreds either because they can, but I'll leave it up to each person and each buyer what constitutes a sufficient reason for the breeding (since I don't agree with the show dog reasons of "improving" the breed).
Old 07-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
In my ideal world, all dogs would be working tested...

Does that mean ideally all dogs would be qualified to work? Or that they would actually have to have a job to do?

If there were only working dogs, I'm not sure if I would be able to have one. Where I live, I can't think of a job that I would need a dog to do. I'd probably come up with something, though, because I'd definitely want to have a dog living with me.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Puppy Dog

While I understand the argument against Doodles, my mix breed pups best friend is a very sweet, well trained Goldendoodle who is only about 4 months (couple of weeks older than my guy). Here are a few snaps of the Doodle for those who haven't seen them before/don't think they are cute (I think she is amazingly cute). Keep in mind she is considerably bigger now.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
I just have not seen the argument that explains why it's okay to breed purebreds, but it's unethical to breed mixed breeds.
If you purchase a mixed breed from a breeder, you kill a shelter dog.

If you purchase a pure breed from a "backyard breeder", then you kill a shelter dog.

If you purchase a pure breed from an "acceptable" breeder, then for some reason no shelter dogs die. Maybe the governor calls up or something and and says, "wait, the animal comes from champion bloodlines, spare the shelter dog."

Or something.

I fully understand the over-population argument, and I fully understand avoiding poor breeders and puppy mills...for many reasons, not just over-population. But I admit that I don't understand why buying a goldendoodle (if that's what you want) kills shelter dogs while buying the offsping of a AKC champion doesn't.

But then that's just me.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
Does that mean ideally all dogs would be qualified to work? Or that they would actually have to have a job to do?

If there were only working dogs, I'm not sure if I would be able to have one. Where I live, I can't think of a job that I would need a dog to do. I'd probably come up with something, though, because I'd definitely want to have a dog living with me.
If only I was made king of the dog world! Basically, I don't like how AKC champions who are supposed to be preserving the breed wouldn't know how to flush a pheasant if the bird pecked it on the nose or how my mix of herding breeds wouldn't know what to do with a herd of sheep!

The parents would be working tested or working dogs. It would actually work much like current show dogs do, some are not suitable for breeding (working) and go to pet homes while others earn their "right" to reproduce by working. I just feel that working ability should be more important than an inch or two in height, or some other arbitrary conformation standard.

Now THAT is getting off topic, and we have argued that to death too
Old 07-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense to me (but I don't know enough about it all to have a valid opinion).

We have certainly strayed off the original topic of poster meeting a cute and sweet-natured dog!!!! (Sorry to have been a big part of that, if that's considered ill-mannered!)