Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

I'm going to be blunt. Anyone breeding labradoodles or goldendoodles is a BYB. If they do health tests, then good! When I was at the vet getting my kitties vaccinated, a lady in the waiting room was getting the OFA and CERF results for her golden retriever. But since her reason for wanting to breed her dog was "she has a lovely caramel color", she was still a BYB.

I'm sure the guide dog association that first bred -doodles had good intentions. Which road is paved with those, again? Why create a new breed to be a "hypoallergenic guide dog" when you can just use a standard poodle?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:13 AM

To those of you who are misinformed and call all of these dogs BYbred mutts....do your research.

To the rest of you who have opened your minds and your hearts, it's been a pleasure.

peace...

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-04-2007, 11:19 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I've not met one but I would be lying if I said doc's Sophie was not a stunning dog. Just look into her eyes of the pics doc posts... she is beautiful! (Ok and I admit I stare at doc's siggy sometimes just so I can see Sophie's pictures.. shameless I know )

Can anyone provide sites for what they deem a responsible breeder of these dogs? It would be interesting to look at at least.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm All Ears

I have to admit, I find Goldendoodles and Labradoodles to be gorgeous dogs. They're absolutely stunning. (Sophie is no exception) The only one I've really been around was a female Goldendoodle at the shelter. she was beautiful and sweet, and if I could take another dog and a large one, I'd totally have stolen her. xD
Old 07-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Just try me..

I am really against breeding flavour of the month dogs, be they designer breeds or purebreds. These are the dogs that end up in shelters etc. But I find it extreemly high handed for people to say all the breeds we have today are all the breeds that shall be allowed. Conformation shows and the notions of all these pure breeds is a relatively new one. (and one destined to ruin all these breeds if things continue on, but that is another essay)

If everyone who's dog had puppies was responsible for those puppies for their entire lives, we wouldn't have pets in shelters etc. The problem isn't the mixes, its the people who breed *any dogs* without accepting the responsibility of the lives they have caused to be brought into this world.

If people out there wish to create a goldendoodle breed, and go about it in a systematic, intelligent, and ethical way, then I am all for it. Diversity is good.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiepeia View Post
Purpose, my butt. There is nothing a "doodle" can do that another established breed couldn't. I'll give you the point that the Guide dog association did create a cross breed (not a 'breed'...a mix) to give a blind woman because her husband was allergic. But as far as I'm aware the guide dog association breeds its own dogs and I don't include them when thinking or talking about breeders.
Outside of that there is NO purpose for them. They're not unique in their abilities, there is no job that they can do that another already well established breed couldn't already do. And there are as many bad breeders of designer mutts in Australia as there are in America (well..relatively speaking anway..smaller population and all). Yes, I'm like talking to a brick wall. But there are way too many dogs dying in shelters down here to condone the breeding of mixes or the "creation" of more unneccessary breeds.
You are not alone in your views. At least some people still see the truth. I've done a lot of research on the Australia millers, and it's a sad situation.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
I've not met one but I would be lying if I said doc's Sophie was not a stunning dog. Just look into her eyes of the pics doc posts... she is beautiful! (Ok and I admit I stare at doc's siggy sometimes just so I can see Sophie's pictures.. shameless I know )

Can anyone provide sites for what they deem a responsible breeder of these dogs? It would be interesting to look at at least.
I agree... Sophie is so gorgeous- her coat looks so soft and fluffy, and she seems like such a sweetheart!

The only doodle I've ever met was a sleeping puppy at the vet's office!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 07-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

I always read the threads of the subject of breeding mixed breeds. The objection that it seems to come down to is dog over-population. Too many dogs in the pounds, and too many people breeding dogs for money. What I don't understand is why this is an issue only wioth the breeding of mixed breeds. It seems like over-population of dogs also would include purebreeds. Why isn't there an outcry of the over-breeding of purebreds, too?

There may be a very good reason that breeding purebreeds while there are unwanted dogs abounding is okay to most 'dog' people. I just haven't seen the reason why. I've seen where legitimate breeders are trying to better the breed that they work with, but is there a reason that that is needed when it produces more dogs into a world with more than are wanted?

This is not actually the topic of this thread, so maybe it shouldn't veer off in this direction. I don't have strong opinions on this subject, but I've been trying to figure out why breeding mixed breeds is so different than breeding purebreeds when the objection is creating more dogs in the world. It may have been answered on other threads, but when they get too heated, I usually quit reading them. I don't always enjoy confrontation, even when it's between people over the internet, and I'm not involved!!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Fishies!

As far as puppy mills go, depending on why they are being bred, they can have quite the number of puppies. The local guide dog training center has quite a few puppies per year, yet that is what is required to meet demand for guide dogs. No dogs are bred multiple times per year, they're health checked etc. If you really have more information besides 3 litters per month, I'd love to
see it, but I am somewhat skeptical.

As for doodles and such...

a) If their dogs are health tested, and bred in a way to minimize dangers to the mothers health (ie not every year)

b) Puppies come with a proper guarantee against genetic disease (life) and puppy diseases (until it would be discovered) and

c) Demand return if the owners are incapable of keeping it, so that they do not get into the shelters then

I don't care what anyone breeds! Want to breed the flavor of the month? Well, if the health checks come back within the "month" and you have room and time in case they, and all the other "months" come back, why should I care? There will be homes and puppies in good health, which is all we can really ask for!
Old 07-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
I always read the threads of the subject of breeding mixed breeds. The objection that it seems to come down to is dog over-population. Too many dogs in the pounds, and too many people breeding dogs for money. What I don't understand is why this is an issue only wioth the breeding of mixed breeds. It seems like over-population of dogs also would include purebreeds. Why isn't there an outcry of the over-breeding of purebreds, too?
I, personally, also have a problem with unethical breeding of purebreds (which is more common than most care to admit). I have written up a section on "Types of Breeders" on my website. It discusses ethics, not breeds.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi