Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Taxiderpy

One of the dogs in our rescue is a small black lab-doodle. I think her dad must have been a mini-poodle, because she topped out at 30 lbs. She is such a darling though! And her coat is sooo soft. The person fostering her is going to adopt her. I never liked the whole "doodle" thing, but after meeting her I can see why people mix them on purpose.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

I'm only against BYBs who plan a Golden or Lab Poodle mix for the $$$ . I'm all for the Australian Breeders with their Labradoodles .....Most mutts that have Goldens in them are good mutts !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Harumph™©®

I think the Dr's Doodle is truly beautiful.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Chihuahua Mum

Quote:
I'm all for the Australian Breeders with their Labradoodles.
Just 'cause they're in Australia doesn't make them ok. We have the exact same problems with designer mutts here that you have over there. They're no different.

But I'll say no more.

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 07-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiepeia View Post
Just 'cause they're in Australia doesn't make them ok. We have the exact same problems with designer mutts here that you have over there. They're no different.

But I'll say no more.

Cass.
It IS different. They are creating a new breed for a purpose. Its being fixed into a breed, and I believe a standard is being created. (but why would be need a standard for a working type dog :/)
Old 07-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Top Dog

That's my point .... they are bred for a reason and are proven ....many generations ......not like 1st timers here .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Chihuahua Mum

Purpose, my butt. There is nothing a "doodle" can do that another established breed couldn't. I'll give you the point that the Guide dog association did create a cross breed (not a 'breed'...a mix) to give a blind woman because her husband was allergic. But as far as I'm aware the guide dog association breeds its own dogs and I don't include them when thinking or talking about breeders.
Outside of that there is NO purpose for them. They're not unique in their abilities, there is no job that they can do that another already well established breed couldn't already do. And there are as many bad breeders of designer mutts in Australia as there are in America (well..relatively speaking anway..smaller population and all). Yes, I'm like talking to a brick wall. But there are way too many dogs dying in shelters down here to condone the breeding of mixes or the "creation" of more unneccessary breeds.

And I will shut up now, sorry Renee for turning this into something it shouldn't have.

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic

Last edited by Cassiepeia; 07-04-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Twin 2.0

I've met a couple of doodles like the one Renee described, and then just as many that are spazzy, high strung and neurotic.

Then again, I had a full golden loudly growl at me before going to hide in the corner of his room tonight and couldn't come out for anything. Any sort of eye contact, even the almost sort, just elicted another growl.

Sadly, this is the type of golden that many BYB's mix their doodles with, providing the rest of us with non-shedding high bite risks.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Love my pets

Oh Renee, I'm so glad you met the doodle. Carl & I both are in love with Sophie and wish we could meet her.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

To all those who support the Australian Labradoodle... Have you seen what puppy mills those places are? With probably 3 litters a month if not more? Sold at $2000 each? And yes, I'm talking about the two main places that are working on the breed.

They're 'making a breed' to make money, it's not different than anyone here.

Don't get me wrong, I think the dogs are great... but it still sickens me.