Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Default To Dock Or Not To Dock

So we got on a topic on another thread about tail docking. As to not hijack that thread to much I wanted to make a new one.

I would like to know what reasoning there is for docking a dogs tail. Isn't it much the same as cropping? I get that some say it is tradition, but why keep doing it? Is there a need? Just wondering.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Just search "docking" You'll get a ton of reasons why to and why not to and everything. It's been discussed many times before.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:25 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Ok, sorry.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Snow Girl

The short of it is that most people still do it for tradition BUT it was started for a reason and many still continue it due to that reason. For example, people who still hunt still dock tails because it started due to tails being sliced and broken from running through all the underbrush.

Also breeds with very thin tails like the AmBull can break them very easily or have them split open and start bleeding everywhere simply by wagging the tail and having it thump against a hard object repeatedly like a wall or cabinet.

A breed like the CAO began the tradition of a docked tail to reduce the chances of it being grabbed when fighting off a threat (same reason for the ears to be done). Pet owners of the breed often don't even have a choice in the matter since the whole litter tends to get done all at the same time and often the breeder doesnt know yet which pups are going to a pet home and which will be going to a working home and it is better to get it done sooner than later.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 06-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Fishies!

Thorns + Brush + Tails = Blood

Thats all
Old 06-25-2007, 12:14 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

But besides working dogs there really isn't a reason as to why people do it besides looks?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

To me an american cocker looks like a mutt often with a tail.. I like my dogs docked. If it became illegal I'm not sure I'd own them.. but after 2.. I may in future want other breeds.. Not because of the docking issue though.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Bored Now.

Jaclyn, as was said above.. some dogs have tails that are just prone to getting hurt on things. Thin, long, whip-like tails more so than others. (<--- I managed to misspell every word in that sentence.) Think a greyhound tail on a dog constantly wagging. Accidents and pain are bound to happen.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:18 AM
Chihuahua Mum

Great Danes have long, thin, constantly wagging tails...but they're not docked.

And to say you wouldn't own a breed of dog you love if it had a tail is a bit harsh. I'd question how much you actually like that dog breed if that's what matters to you. Tail or not, it's still the same dog.

Real working dogs (ie: dogs who are actually doing the job they were bred to do) should be exempt from docking bans IMO.

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Top Dog

I think I heard that Dobermans tend to have the long thin tails that get injured on the usual house hold stuff. I think if your dog is not working and does not have the type of tail that is very likely to be injured around the house then why dock, except for cosmetic surgery (looks). I like a dog with a natural tail but I don't think I would get mad at somebody who docked and cropped even though I feel it is unnecessary it's the owners choice and they are only hurting the puppy a little, I almost like docking more than cropping since it is done so early and healing does not take as long. I would not do it to my dog unless he worked.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!