Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
know what makes a good family dog? a good family. I think that is where people should look first.
Now THAT says it all!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Big Dog

I think labs can be overrated sometimes as the IDEAL family dog, they do have wonderful temperaments but they are so incredibly enthusiastic that they can be pretty overwhelming for very young kids. I totally agree with the statement above that having a good family dog depends a lot on the family itself!
Old 06-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudy
i love dogs but when it comes to labs , welll every one says there just the best little family dogs. there not there really not the BEST. i love all dogs that incudles lab but the lab owners are just so MY LAB IS THE BEST KIND OF DOG ON THIS EATH AND ROTTS AND PIT ARE SO EVIL!! WHAT DO YOU THING ABOUT LAB OWNERS ARE THEY ALL THAT WAY OR ARE SOME NICE?
what i ment to say is that some people think they are the best. thats okay. i dont think the are the best. and thats okay. some people mint say that chows are the best . thats okay. i have two rotts and had a pitbull. are mail lady hates pits! hates pits! so she made us give him away. she told me that pits and rotts are evil breeds she said that labs are the best of the best. not those words but very close . all that im asking is why do SOME( not all) people say that rotts and pit are evil when they have not even mit one? sorry about spelling!!! i love all dog breeds. just labs are not my fav becuase SOME people that own them say that they are the best and my dogs are bad or evil. . some one has told me that i would be better off with geting rid of my rotts and getting a good lab! you know how much that hurts me in side to here that? they are my kids! iwould die for them.!
Old 06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

Spudy -- you sound very young in your postings (not sure how old you might be). Anywho, you are leaving some very good questions to answer. The stigma on Rotti's or Pit's is unbelievable. So if you've got one (or both) that is a good citizen, then it's up to you to help educate the public about why they are also great dogs... can you do that? That would be great...
Old 06-06-2005, 04:21 AM
Puppy Dog

I myself have a female rotty sasha and she is the calmest stupidest dog i have ever owned or met she will sit and give you her paw and like another member has said you could easily put your head n her food bowl and she would share i also have 2 cats that she adores and showers them with kisses, she often sleeps in bed with me and my 2 children i hate the stigma these poor dogs have it is all to do with how you bring them up i have aways thought of her as my child and not a dog rotties are known to be a very good family dog and after lots of research into the breed i decided she was for me and have never looked back.

As you can see from the pics im not a keen gardener and sasha loves to dig holes lol.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:43 AM
Harley & Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudy
all that im asking is why do SOME( not all) people say that rotts and pit are evil when they have not even mit one?
They just don't understand the breed. Simple as that.
There are a lot of misconceptions about particular breeds.
Stereotypes don't help either.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Top Dog

I for one, wouldn't care what anyone else felt in the first place. Its my dog and tuff tawooties to them. lol I have a cocker spaniel and westie. Cockers are labled as snippy tempermental breeds also. Sadie is a loving family dog. She is excellent with my children, other pets and guests that visit. I've never had a problem with her.

Question though, why would your mail lady make you get rid of your dog? Do you mean landlord or something?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Active Pup

I think anyone that says that hasn't looked at the bite statistics in the US... the Lab is consistantly higher on the bite list that rotts or pits...
Old 06-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Big Dog

I didn't know that about labs, it doesn't surprise me becuase there are so MANY labs out there. I wonder how it ranks with percentage of total breed population? Bite stats are pretty biased, also, they shows extremely high rates on rotties, shepherds, pits, things like that, but those are REPORTED cases...how often do you think people report vicious chihuahuas? I know they exist, at the clinic where I work the number of biting and aggressive chis and daschunds far outnumber any other breeds.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:33 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Spudy seems to have taken great offense by my comment and has pmed as to this fact. For the life of me..i don't know why..does anyone else have a clue?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,