Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Hmm, how about Corgis? They're spunky little dogs and I especially love the Pembrokes. They look like a BLAST to handle on livestock, once you "click" with them.

For non-BCs, AKC, ASCA and AHBA trials/trainers are very accommodating. Herding isn't as popular as agility and obedience, so you might have to drive a little ways to find an instructor, but they're out there.

You'll find that the strictly-work/function or serious trial people tend to refuse non border collies because most other breeds have been ruined for work by breeding for show or other purposes (GSDs for example, even "working bred" GSDs are usually bred for schutzhund). Their working ability is usually not very refined, so the training consists of micro-managing the dog's prey drive, working against what the dog is doing (probably running around with its tail in the air, trying to chase down the sheep and/or barking maniacally at them) and ultimately turns into a display of Obedience on Sheep rather than a job that puts the dog's natural ability to use.

Corgis are actually right up there on the top of my list. I do tend to like medium to larger sized dogs better but I do like a lot of little dogs. I have never met an active Corgi though. All fat and lazy. Would they beable to keep up with my borders because I don't want a little dog I'll have to leave at home if the boys and I want to go out for a long hike or a run. (not saying all Corgis are fat and lazy! Just the cuties I've met)

It's still possible to find a non ruined, still livestock savy dog besides Border Collies though, right? I've met Shelties that are fabulous with sheep but that is about it. I was interested in German Sheperds but I really am not liking the way they look now a days. The extreme back slope does not look right to me and I want a dog that is going to be active and healthy for years to come. Not one that is going to have a bad back and sore hips. I mean if it happens it happens, but I'd rather it didn't if I were to get from a breeder instead of a shelter.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Are you dead yet?

Oh of course it's possible! I guess working dogs are kind of on the decline in a lot of breeds, though. Blarg, I can never articulate my points.

I'd talk to SizzleDog. If I recall correctly, her little Corgi girl is from working lines. Seems like her Corgi can keep up with her Dobermans.

I'm not wild about a lot of the GSDs today either, even the "working" (people seem to think breeding for schutzhund is breeding for "work") lines seem a little messed up to me. If you can find a farmer that breeds GSDs as flock tenders and guardians, then I think you hit the jackpot.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Let it be

Whats the difference between a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and a Cardigan Welsh Corgi (those are the two different types right?)?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Are you dead yet?

The tail.

Really, I have no clue. Temperament wise, I've met both and I found the Pembrokes to be friendlier and more playful, whereas the Cardigans were kind of Border Collie-ish, quite serious and intense. I've only met a handful of Cardis though, so I might be wrong about them.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Lord Cynical

I second corgis... they are super active, can definitely handle the bigger dogs in both play and speed, and are all around jolly little creatures. Versatile herders, easy keepers, also great for Agility and Obedience.

Besides... I'm biased... teehee!

Corgis co-exist beautifully with the "Big Dawgs"

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Lord Cynical

PS - to answer some questions...

The Difference Between the Pembrokes and the Cardigans.
Physically, the Cardi is larger, longer, and bigger boned. Pems have foxy heads, Cardis have a more houndish look. This makes sense, as Pems are more Vallhund/Spitz type, while the Cardi is more of the Dachshund type.

Pembrokes come in less colors than the Cardigan. Pembrokes have docked tails to avoid the gruesome fate of it being stepped on by a cow.

And yes, it's farily easy to find a Corgi (mostly Pems, in my expereince) that still works stock - or at least tends to the horses in the stables. Actually, one of the best places to find a working corgi breeder is to attend a horse show! My corgi mentor acquired a male Pem (who unfortunately had to be neutered after an injury) who was seen herding cattle with his mother at then tender age of 12 weeks. Now THAT'S the kind of dog I wanted, but ufortunately that breeder didn't have any breedign plans for the next few years... and I couldn't wait that long...

Where are you located (state)?

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

I will always have a herding breed.

I grew up with, and still have GSD's, and now also aussies. The GSd's are really versatile , tho the one thing that is a "negative" I've found over the years, is they tend to have alot of structural problems, and unfortunately don't have as long a life span as alot of other breeds (altho I have had long lived ones)..My main thing now is agility, and they just , structurally, aren't going to last as long as say, my aussie or border collie/shelties..that type.

Love em tho,,will always have them..I love my aussies to, but they are as different as nite & day when it comes to the GSD's, don't take life to seriously, (which can definately be entertaining), they are in it for "themselves", *vbg*..if it benefits "them" they'll do it *vbg*..but again, very versatile.

I do like corgi's, I petsit for a couple, (one is a 14 wk old puppy my god is he the cutest thing!!!!) ,,bit attitude in small packages!!

I also like pyrenean shepherds!!! Small package, lots of spunk...
Good luck with your search! Isn't it great to be able to "choose" from the so many, breeds out there?

Diane
Old 06-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
It's still possible to find a non ruined, still livestock savy dog besides Border Collies though, right? I've met Shelties that are fabulous with sheep but that is about it. I was interested in German Sheperds but I really am not liking the way they look now a days. The extreme back slope does not look right to me and I want a dog that is going to be active and healthy for years to come. Not one that is going to have a bad back and sore hips. I mean if it happens it happens, but I'd rather it didn't if I were to get from a breeder instead of a shelter.
If you want a shepherd I still say find a Mal from a great breeder with nice lines . . .

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 06-24-2007, 06:44 PM
BlackDog

I say Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Active enough, can keep up with your BC's. Similar looks, loves water (if your into water sports or activities). Great for agility, very smart, medium sized, not as popular as other breeds but very flashy.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
BlackDog

Almost forgot. If you wanted a suggestion of terriers I'd say

jack russel or parsons russel (a little on the smaller side but very active, smart, and strong).
bull terrier
soft coated wheaten terrier
lakeland terrier
Kerry blue terrier
Airedale
border terrier
bedlington terrier