Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Let it be

Default can someone help me otu with herding breeds?

I want to do some research on other herding breeds. My personal doggy experiance has pretty much only been with Shelties and Border Collies. Those are all I've ever owned.Though I love both breeds very much I am interested in venturing off from my breeds when it comes to my next dog.

I want an active, fun companion that is going to beable to keep up with me and my two border collies. High engergy dogs ar what Im all about. I want something that is going to love going out running, hiking, non-competative backyard agility, and maybe even do herding trials with. I am forsure considering adopting and breeds aren't all together THAT important. If I find the perfect dog then I find the perfect dog but for now I want to do some doggy research to keep me content until the time comes when I am ready to get another companion.

Non herding breeds are welcome too. I was also kind of interested in terriers. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on the breeds they are suggesting. Both the positives and the negatives.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Top Dog

If you are just interested in breeds to look at/consider, I can tell you that I spend an awful lot of time browsing Coolie and Kelpie sites. I don't have an enormous amount of knowledge on either to share (yet). For my next dog, I want a smooth-coated herding breed who can be competitive in agility and isn't exceptionally "soft" tempered.

Do you have herding instructors near you that will work with non-BCs? If so, I'm jealous. That seems to be a huge issue in our area, and a bit of a discouragement. It is something I would really love to try.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Rebel With Cause

Depending on your experience with dogs and training an ACD may be for you. You have to be very consistent in their training as they are a bit hard headed but truly worth it in the end. They are far more intelligent then given credit for and a hard days work is what they live to do. They are Velcro dogs. Once you get bonded and have them trained you would find yourself hard pressed to go back to any other breed. But they are not for everyone. They have their faults and for one not savvy to the breed they can be a night mare and turn you off of the breed as well. They are not laid back one bit. If you are active and want a dog to keep up or out do you that is the one who will. If you are into agility they excel. If you are only occasional at activity maybe go with another breed.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:41 PM
BusterLove

ooo, ooo, ACD, kelpie koolie.

i dunno about koolies but i know kelpies are pretty rare i there.
i think my next agility dog will be a koolie, their gorgeous.

ACD's are great, their active, easy to train if you can convince them. but they do tend to have dominance issues, and apparently a lot of hunting instinct. they can be nipping if from working lines, harry is very nippy still but buster never was, but i dunno if he's from working line, i know harry is.

their compact, fast and have great stamina and athleticism.

and i know what you mean about velcro dog, i think buster and i have just "clicked" the last few months and he's constantly next to me, he stays in my bed staring at the door till i get up. harry sits outside my mums door and yaps if she won't let him in.

i look at AD rescue sites and dunno how i'll ever be without one./

Old 06-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
If you are just interested in breeds to look at/consider, I can tell you that I spend an awful lot of time browsing Coolie and Kelpie sites. I don't have an enormous amount of knowledge on either to share (yet). For my next dog, I want a smooth-coated herding breed who can be competitive in agility and isn't exceptionally "soft" tempered.

Do you have herding instructors near you that will work with non-BCs? If so, I'm jealous. That seems to be a huge issue in our area, and a bit of a discouragement. It is something I would really love to try.
I am pretty much just browsing as of right now. My boys are still very young and the one is still very much in a puppy mindset still. I am waiting for them atleast to hit 4 or 5 till I seriously consider another dog. Would be way too much when it comes to training. I am still doing a lot of work with Spanky. Bandit has been much easier now that he and I have a solid bond. It took us forever to gain that.

My horse vet actually is involved in some sort of non bc herding trials. I forgot what breed but he said it was way more difficult then finding trials and a trainer for his border collie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Red View Post
Depending on your experience with dogs and training an ACD may be for you. You have to be very consistent in their training as they are a bit hard headed but truly worth it in the end. They are far more intelligent then given credit for and a hard days work is what they live to do. They are Velcro dogs. Once you get bonded and have them trained you would find yourself hard pressed to go back to any other breed. But they are not for everyone. They have their faults and for one not savvy to the breed they can be a night mare and turn you off of the breed as well. They are not laid back one bit. If you are active and want a dog to keep up or out do you that is the one who will. If you are into agility they excel. If you are only occasional at activity maybe go with another breed.
Well worth looking into. I'm not shunning anything without giving it a fair looking into.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:29 AM
Active Pup

I would consider a Lagotto Romagnolo - they have a wonderful temprament and LOVE exercise and running.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Are you dead yet?

Hmm, how about Corgis? They're spunky little dogs and I especially love the Pembrokes. They look like a BLAST to handle on livestock, once you "click" with them.

For non-BCs, AKC, ASCA and AHBA trials/trainers are very accommodating. Herding isn't as popular as agility and obedience, so you might have to drive a little ways to find an instructor, but they're out there.

You'll find that the strictly-work/function or serious trial people tend to refuse non border collies because most other breeds have been ruined for work by breeding for show or other purposes (GSDs for example, even "working bred" GSDs are usually bred for schutzhund). Their working ability is usually not very refined, so the training consists of micro-managing the dog's prey drive, working against what the dog is doing (probably running around with its tail in the air, trying to chase down the sheep and/or barking maniacally at them) and ultimately turns into a display of Obedience on Sheep rather than a job that puts the dog's natural ability to use.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:22 AM
BusterLove

old english sheepdogs? lol

i'd have one one day, their gorgeous dogs

*runs away to research them*

Old 06-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Your Mom

ACDs are great little dogs. The only thing holding me back from owning one is the high incidence of DA (same reason why I don't own an APBT even though they're one of my favorite breeds). ACDs are hardheaded little monsters that give you a run for your money each and everytime. I love a challenge, I think that's why I love the breed.

What about a Belgian Malinois? Though more commonly known for bitework, they are a VERY high energy herding breed. Though not known for DA they can be handler sharp. I think I have the name of a Mal breeder in my desk (which is packed up right now, I'm moving) so if it's a breed you're interested in let me know. I have met some FANTASTIC dogs from this breeder, and when I'm in the market for a shepherd it will definitely be a Mal and it will definitely be from her.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 06-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Crazy dog girl

Well, how drivey do you want your dog to be?

German Shepherds are great herders, as are rotties.

ACDs and Aussie Shepherds will herd until their legs wear out, LOL!

Just depends on what OTHER requirements you have for your dog, thins like coat, other abilities, etc.

Finnish Lapphunds can herd, but aren't quite as drivey as a BC or an Aussie.