Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Online Medications Unsafe?

I've been looking around for a new vet recently and I noticed something odd at one of the places I visited. They had a board up on the wall that was filled with different documents advocating against buying pet presciption medications online from places like 1800petmeds and foster and smith. A lot of the papers said that manufacturers like Heartguard do not sell medication directly to the companies behind those websites, and so those websites were selling bootleg, stolen, or gray market medication. Another paper stated that medication from these companies may not have been stored properly, and may be ineffective.

I thought this was a load of crap, but I wanted see what you guys thought. This is the first time I've seen or heard anything like this. It is safe to buy the meds online right?

By the way, this place also stated the above documents as a reason why they won't verify a presciption by phone or fax, although they will write a written prescription that someone can mail.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

I have a feeling that if the meds that LARGE online companies sell (like 1800petmeds...who even have commercials) weren't legit the BBB would have shut them down a long time ago. I'm sure it's kind of a ploy from the vets office to discredit online sellers so we spend 10-20% more at their offices. However, use discretion when ordering online from super small business selling from out of the country or something.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

With some black market human meds , I'd be cautious of any meds .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Puppy Dog

I'd definitly go with a large well known retailer even if it was a few dollars more than a more obscure place; either way its still way cheaper than getting it from the vet.

What struck me was that the place specifically named 1800petmeds and dr foster and smith. Those are both organizations that I feel are pretty reputable. It's not a clinic that's very close to where I live, but I heard good things about the vet there so I went to go take a look. I don't think I'll be going back.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I've used 2 online retailers for hw and advantix without issues. I wouldn't choose an obscure place either. Packaging was the same and sealed.

I can't justify near double the price at the vet who will not write prescriptions as they want the $$ for the price gouge.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-24-2007, 02:12 PM
overdogged

i know at least one drug manufacturer has taken petmeds to court and won. they do not sell directly to them, they sell only to vets. where petmeds etc are getting the medication they sell is still a question. many manufacturers will not honor their guarantee if the meds are purchased from somewhere other than a veterinarian.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:15 PM
swimming upstream

my vets also posted something similar--but did not specify any companies. I personally am pretty cautious about meds by mail--I'm with Grammy on this.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Big Dog

Default Online meds...

I looked at the 1800petmeds website and checked their prices, it was not really cheaper than purchasing from my vet. I just looked at my last vet invoice. I purchased 8 heartgard from my vet, for $48.00 ($6.00/ea). 1800petmeds: $40.00 for 6 (6.66/ea). More expensive than the vet.
For frontline plus, the vet was $2 or $3 bucks more. Not, much of a savings. IMO I donít see any reason to buy meds online.

Bella Shepherd/Rotti mix??
Old 06-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am a giraffe View Post
... I thought this was a load of crap, but I wanted see what you guys thought. This is the first time I've seen or heard anything like this. It is safe to buy the meds online right?

By the way, this place also stated the above documents as a reason why they won't verify a prescription by phone or fax, although they will write a written prescription that someone can mail.
From my experience, vets generally don't want to be bothered calling in or verifying prescriptions. They sell the stuff there, they want to get the sale
and make a few bucks, why bother? Can't say I blame them I guess, you're not doing them any favors by ordering outside the office.

IMO the heart worm meds and flea meds are as safe as too be expected and probably don't need prescriptions anyway. Revolution, a product that worked for me needs a prescription. I think that is a joke. My vet doesn't carry it because he doesn't feel it is a good product.

Well, I would rather spend the money at home, but forced to look else where.
Canada Vet (dot com) doesn't require a prescription for the heartguard or the Revolution, plus they have the generic heartguard tablets. I've been doing it that way for a number of years now with no problems. Still pick up some Frontline in a pinch from the vet (single tubes). I can do 4 animals with one large dog, 2 cats, a Yorkie, and my Setter. My vet told me it is BS about not being able to use the dog med on the cat. It is the same stuff. He showed me how to ration the bottle between the 4. They know I am buying the stuff online, so to get my business back he showed me how to save more money than buying online.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
From my experience, vets generally don't want to be bothered calling in or verifying prescriptions. They sell the stuff there, they want to get the sale
and make a few bucks, why bother? Can't say I blame them I guess, you're not doing them any favors by ordering outside the office.

IMO the heart worm meds and flea meds are as safe as too be expected and probably don't need prescriptions anyway. Revolution, a product that worked for me needs a prescription. I think that is a joke. My vet doesn't carry it because he doesn't feel it is a good product.

Well, I would rather spend the money at home, but forced to look else where.
Canada Vet (dot com) doesn't require a prescription for the heartguard or the Revolution, plus they have the generic heartguard tablets. I've been doing it that way for a number of years now with no problems. Still pick up some Frontline in a pinch from the vet (single tubes). I can do 4 animals with one large dog, 2 cats, a Yorkie, and my Setter. My vet told me it is BS about not being able to use the dog med on the cat. It is the same stuff. He showed me how to ration the bottle between the 4. They know I am buying the stuff online, so to get my business back he showed me how to save more money than buying online.
That may be true with frontline.... but there are many other flea preventatives that will kill a cat. Any of the meds with permethrins should never be used on or near a cat.