Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Are you dead yet?

A lot of the giant breeds could actually fit the bill, but it's difficult to find housing with a small moose in tow...

How about an adult Golden Retriever? Their energy levels drop as they age, so you wouldn't have to deal with the crazy puppy stages. They're big enough to look intimidating to someone (obviously they wouldn't guard you with zeal, but most dogs will step up for their owners if they need to, and Goldens are no exception) but not so massive that you can't find a place to live with one.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Well alot of these dogs will make great ALARM dogs...they may be too small to actually do something but alarming an owner that something is happening will give you a headstart on deciding what to do next. A barking dog WILL detter many intruders...of course not all. I would know something was up the minute Sage heard an intruder fart OUTSIDE of my house

True Story...When I was living in LA I woke up right when Sage darted out of my bed and ran to the door. Then I thought I heard a jiggle of the knob of my backdoor so I opened my door and she dashed into the living room and began barking up a storm. I went a woke my roommate up totally freaked out. He and I went to explore and our back gate was wide open...no one there. She totally scared them off!! needless to say i slept in his room for like a week
Old 06-22-2007, 04:45 PM
and Spy.

Thing is pitbulls don't make good guard dogs. LOL

Do you want a dog that would work as a good alarm or a guard dog (I would personally stray against having one)?

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
In another thread someone else wanted a pitbull in an apartment and no one said that wasn't ok. Not that I want a pit. Just making a point.
Yeah but you also said you wanted something low energy
Old 06-22-2007, 04:52 PM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefern View Post
There are plenty of purebreds in rescue.

-Rosefern
I know. I was just referring to the part when they said "mixed breed"
Old 06-22-2007, 04:57 PM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
Yeah but you also said you wanted something low energy
I said I wanted anything in the range of low to *medium/average* energy. The other poster stated that no breeds that are capable of guarding can be kept in an apartment.

I don't want a pit. I was just making a point.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
I said I wanted anything in the range of low to *medium/average* energy. The other poster stated that no breeds that are capable of guarding can be kept in an apartment.

I don't want a pit. I was just making a point.
But pit bulls aren't good guard dogs.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:05 PM
CASSA

A watch dog is different that a guard dog.

Any breed can be a watch dog

Dogs bred to guard naturally bark allot but will protect.
Dogs bred to herd can be trained to guard on command and make excellent watch dog. They can be kinda of yappy.

If you do not need real protection you have tons of breeds that can do well in a small setting of a apartment.

The shelters have tons of dogs of all kinds that once they are loved they will die protecting you.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 06-22-2007, 05:09 PM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Well alot of these dogs will make great ALARM dogs...they may be too small to actually do something but alarming an owner that something is happening will give you a headstart on deciding what to do next. A barking dog WILL detter many intruders...of course not all. I would know something was up the minute Sage heard an intruder fart OUTSIDE of my house
I want a dog actually capable of protecting me if someone broke in. I will most likely be living alone and I'm 5'3'' 109 pound female. I have always been drawn to the gaurdian breeds. Although they are too large for an apartment, someday I will have one. There are, however, smaller, medium-sized dogs who are capable of protecting their owners if they knew they were going to be harmed, but aren't the first dogs who come to mind when you think "gaurd-dog". That's where I would like imput.

I'm thinking about maybe a boxer or a clumber spaniel.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:11 PM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boemy View Post
But pit bulls aren't good guard dogs.
if the owner was going to be harmed, or if someone broke into the house, you think the pit wouldn't protect their owner?