Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Big Dog

Catahoula. They're very versatile.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Lord Cynical

I think it really depends on everyone's individual definition of "Jack of all trades", and to what extent each "trade" is used, needed, etc.

For me, the Doberman Pinscher is my ideal Jack Of All Trades - but their trades range in importance, although the breed is known for doing almost everything... it's just that they do things more readily and better than others.

Herding - yes, there are dobes that herd...
Retrieving - some dobes are retrieving fools - Ilsa is one of them.
Hunt - there are hunting dobes, from what I've seen they're mostly in Europe
Tracking - one of the Dobe's stronger "trades"
SAR - another strong point for dobes
Watch/Guard - the Dobe excels at these!
Pull a sled - I've seen it done, and done reasonably well!
Guard against predators - again, a Doberman strong point. A good dobe is fearless, and will happily take on a beast twice or thrice their size in defense of their master.
Therapy dog - Yet another venue a dobe excels at.
Companion - IMO, the best dog for the job!

Dobes are my Jack of All Trades - but then again, if I was a rancher, or a person who lived in the Far North, or someone who couldn't control anything more than 50lbs (or have the ability to deal with a strong-willed dog)... the Doberman would NOT by my Jack Of All Trades!

A good GSD though... now that could be interesting! I could see a good GSD pulling a close 2nd...

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
I'm not going to shock everyone by saying that I think a Pit Bull could do all that and more. LOL!
There's another one I can see, and even though they are smallish dogs, they just aren't fragile like many larger dogs. You could realistically expect a Pittie to be able to hold its own when defending something or someone it was guarding without being as vulnerable as many of the larger, more delicately built dogs.

A good Pit brings a lot of the same kinds of intangibles to the equation that a good Fila or Rottie does. Or an ACD. One of those being an innate mental and physical toughness the dog can call on when necessary.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by protodog View Post
Catahoula. They're very versatile.
I agree! They were originally bred as an all-purpose hunter and herder, and can do all of those things listed.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 AM
I run with scissors

GSD - but of course I'm biased.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

I would love to say the Saint Bernard...but c'mon now, who would I be fooling? My vote goes to the GSD too!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Twin 2.0

I'd say Aussie could pull all that off and do it well, though the fragility of the breed really depends on the lineage. A good ol' fashioned ranch Aussie would be awesome at all that, including the guarding. They're bred to take on 900 pound cattle that are clustered together in large groups, they're not made of glass.

But as far as having to throw in protection work, a good ol' fashioned Rottie would cover it as well.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Red View Post
It would have to be an ACD.
They do it all and then some
I agree, and they may be a little on the small size for a guardian, but until you own one, you don't know how physically substantial they are.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

Did I just read... "a well trained wife'? Lol Very naughty. I think a lot of the breeds listed could fit the bill. I think "total package' when I think of a jack of all trades. A dog who has the appropriate (and consistent) temperament and aptitude to really excel at the jobs listed and one who can physically do them with ease. Was going to put a Retriever at the top of my list, but thought a lot of them would fall short of herding and guarding. My first Dobie would fall short of a few tasks, Sizzle. Lol Hunting/ cold water?! "Not going in". Herding, he was not quick enough and couldn't get low enough in time, on occassion, to dodge a hoof graze from one of my horses when chasing them in. His best attribute, outside of obedience and guarding our home was being a lap dog. lol
Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Dafuq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
There's another one I can see, and even though they are smallish dogs, they just aren't fragile like many larger dogs. You could realistically expect a Pittie to be able to hold its own when defending something or someone it was guarding without being as vulnerable as many of the larger, more delicately built dogs.

A good Pit brings a lot of the same kinds of intangibles to the equation that a good Fila or Rottie does. Or an ACD. One of those being an innate mental and physical toughness the dog can call on when necessary.
Word. I think the only hang-up with an APBT would be the dog- and/or animal-aggression issues, but they're smart enough that a good trainer would be able to work through that.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...