Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Active Pup

Default I need some help

Just wanted to say Hello to all since I am a new member. I have a problem, hopefully I can count on you guys for some help.
I have a 10 year old male yellow lab name Jack. He is my baby! However, this past weekend, I rescued a 6 year old female black lab/mix named Hilly.
Whenever my husband and I are in the house, the dogs are fine together, but as soon as my husband leaves the house both dogs get possessive of me and start to fight. Jack would not hurt a flea, but as soon as Hilly goes near me they go at it and visa versa.
I want to know, will this continue or does it take time for the dogs to get use to each other?
I would appreciate any help
Thanks
Old 12-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Alpha Dog

Welcom YukonJack, glad to have you!

I moved this to the Dog Training forum as it is more training related.
Could be they just need a little time to adjust to having each other
around. Jack has been around and now is threatened in his old age
for mama's attention. Hopefully this will pass and Hilly and Jack can
be great friends.

Be sure to give each undivided attention and make sure they
get the idea that each get the same amount of attention and
love. I think that sometime dogs just don't get along, but most
of the time they do.

Chazhound
Old 12-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Felurian

When your husband is home, he is the Alpha male and the leader of your "pack." When he leaves, the balance of power shifts and your dogs are vying to fill his role of protector. It will probably be easier for them to accept each other if you can make it clear to them that you are the Alpha female and they both answer to you. Jack, though, does need to feel secure in his seniority and Hilly needs to take the next spot in line in the pack. This doesn't mean you love her less. Try making sure you feed Jack first, Hilly second, to reinforce the order, but don't allow Jack to bully her. Be sure you have separate times with each dog, but have activity times for both of them together. You may have to do this with your husband at first, but gradually take over more of their "together time" so they get the idea and get with the program. Also, stand firm and let both dogs know that you will NOT tolerate aggressive behavior within the family. There's nothing more precious to these wonderful animals than the approval and love of their people and most will do anything as long as we can communicate what we want them to do. Good luck. Let us know how things go.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Active Pup

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack
Just wanted to say Hello to all since I am a new member. I have a problem, hopefully I can count on you guys for some help.
I have a 10 year old male yellow lab name Jack. He is my baby! However, this past weekend, I rescued a 6 year old female black lab/mix named Hilly.
Whenever my husband and I are in the house, the dogs are fine together, but as soon as my husband leaves the house both dogs get possessive of me and start to fight. Jack would not hurt a flea, but as soon as Hilly goes near me they go at it and visa versa.
I want to know, will this continue or does it take time for the dogs to get use to each other?
I would appreciate any help
Thanks
Derar YukonJack,

I know how you feel. I just bought a mini dachshaund puppy in October (I saved him from Scruffy's, they never let him go outside! ). Unfortunately, my family's 3 year old Papillion, Domino, will attack Bailey, my Dachshaund, whenever Bailey goes near me or my mom. My mom said that it'll take awhile before they get used to eachother. It's the same for any two dogs. Just give them awhile to get used to eachother and don't stress too much when they bark at eachother. Jack just wants Hilly to know that he is the Alphadog in your house and Hilly isn't. Jack also probably thinks that Hilly wants to hurt you or that you can only love him, so he feels the need to protect you. Don't think I'm wrong just because I'm 15. My family has had 4 dogs (Bailey, Shelly, Zelly, and Domino), and I'm almost a dog expert (on a scale of 1-10 of expertice in dogs, I'm a 6 ). So trust me, Jack just feel the need to protect you.

~*KC*~
Old 01-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Show Dog

hmmm sorry i really dont know
Old 01-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Puppy Dog

I agree with renee's earlier comment, I think a lot of it is a dominance isssue.
Before Hilly came into the picture Jack was sure of his status in the "pack" and now he feels threatened by this newest family member.
I can only repeat Renees syggestion really, re_enforce that Jack is the dominant dog and things should get a lot better.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

I am so glad that Renee is on this forum. She has great advice for dog owners.
You go girl!
Old 01-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Felurian

Awww. shucks. Thanks. Really, though, I learn a lot from others. I've yet to meet anyone who didn't have something new for me to learn.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:38 AM
Puppy Dog

Yep Renee's great.
All bow to Renee.
I only wish someone had such good advice for me.