Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Crazy dog girl

Thusfar, you have gotten really good advice, it seems. I don't remember the poster's name, but they basically said that when you have a bully breed, you represent the entire breed. I think that is an excellent point.

If you decide on a bully, take what everyone has said to heart: both the good and the bad. Then, make it your personal quest to have the best dog in the neighborhood.

As an ambassador for this breed, that might well be the best goal you could have.

As for personal experiences, the only pit or pit mix I ever met was not people aggressive, nor was she dog aggressive. I have no idea what she was mixed with, but she was a farm dog and got along well with the coon hounds and the plott hounds. The story was that they had found her on the side of the road and taken her in with out a second thought.

Good luck on your search.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Diary of a Mad Black Dog

Green Apple Spray works pretty well to get a dog to calm down. I don't know if it would break up a full fledged fight, but of a dog starts doing something like getting aggressive, spray it in their mouths. Dogs hate it. There was a dog at the shelter who would come up and bite your arm, not hard, but still hard enough that you didn't want her to. One spray of that and she would back off entirely.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Dafuq?

The only time I've seen a spray work was when it was perfume sprayed in the dog's noses. They started sneezing like mad. There are a lot of ways to break up a fight, some better than others.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
And previously owning a dobe,
*gasp* And you can even think of owning another breed??? LOL, just kidding!

However, the right rescue dobe would be just perfect for you - there are loads of wonderful dobes in breed rescues and shelters that fit your needs perfectly - especially the seniors - Dobes seem to be a breed that is like fine wine... just gets better with age!

My two are the loves of my life - my older one (Ilsa) has her CGC and TDI, goes to the dog park all the time with no problems, loves visitors and children, has an amazing affinity for senior citizens, and has a wonderful temperament. My younger guy (Ronin) came from a very bad home, but he's got a solid temperament so he bounced right back. He's a goof, a sweetheart, he's so affectionate it can be obnoxious at times!

If you still have a Doberman-shaped hole in your heart (and ALL dobe owners have one - it's just a fact of life), I'd suggest checking out Dobe Rescue, tell them what you're looking for, and you might just find a dog to fill that hole.

PS - I live in an apartment too - it's a reeeeally big apartment on the ground floor, but an apartment all the same.

Photos... for incentive!

Here's my Ilsa...

And my Ronin...

Two Peas in a Pod...

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Active Pup

Thanks all of you for the wonderful and thought-provoking responses!!
I am officially on-the-fence. It seems that a bully would work very well in terms of my lifestyle, schedule, living situation, training ability but I am still concerned over being responsible for an entire breed....sigh..
This is very, very difficult as I have fallen in-screen-love with a few needing homes and there are so d@#n many that do! again, sigh...

Curse you, Sizzle dog for promoting your gorgeous red babies.
Yes, there is a serious doberman shaped hole in my heart still.. It isn't like I hadn't thought of owning another. Only that BF likes the temperament but isn't yet sold on the "look" (Is he crazy or what? I don't get it!!! honestly...???).. He is rather stubborn and I am trying to be patient.
Usually, if I am tactful and patient, the light will go on about an issue and he comes around...However, losing both of mine to old age a few years ago and only several months apart almost killed me and I wasn't sure I could go through that again with a dog that "looked" like someone else I used to know...(*eyes welling up here*) so I haven't really pursued the issue.
But seeing pics of your guys really stirred things up...

I have some thinkin' to do.....

Thanks again, all. I will keep you updated...
Old 06-23-2007, 02:23 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Well I am glad to see that your got a lot of usefull information here. I am also glad you are going to take the time to really think it through.

In all honesty there are a crazy amount of APBT's, AST's etc, that need homes...BUT....if you are worried about taking on a responsibily like that, it is totally understandable.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Active Pup

I would stay away from a bully type breed if dog friendlyness is paramount on your list of priorities.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 AM
Bored Now.

I second Dictator. Why would you want a dog that loves people?

Alright. Seriously.. if you want two dogs in the future, adopt a Dobe from rescue now, see how you're doing with representing them, and then revisit the Bullies?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post

Quote:
Alright. Seriously.. if you want two dogs in the future, adopt a Dobe from rescue now, see how you're doing with representing them, and then revisit the Bullies?
I think that is a fantastic idea!! You're already comfortable with Dobies, so why not get one of those now and settle into owning a dog again, then later on you can add a bully to your home.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 06-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think he/she meant friendliness towards other dogs, not friendliness in general.