Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Sucker for a droopy lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
This is bit off topic but I heard apple cores are bad, has anyone heard anything about that?
Apple cores contain an extremely small amount of cyanide. From everything I've read, it's really not a problem unless you've got a very small dog and you're feeding it lots of apples. Manni is anything but small, and he maybe gets 2-3 apple cores per week.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Sucker for a droopy lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
If his front legs are trembling when he lifts is back leg, maybe its a balance thing. Like when someone learns how to bench press their arms shake even though they are strong enough to hold the bar up.

The limping thing could be pano. Gunnar had that from about 8-9 months till he was about 15 months or so. It'd flare up from time to time and you'd see him favoring that leg. It was a sore spot right in the middle of his forearm, you could find it by pressing down the leg. Our vet had us give him a regular asprin when it flared up to help with the inflammation and irritation. It didn't cause him to not want to exercise and play, we had to keep him calm and do things that were more mental games than physical when it was flaring up.

It may very well be balance. He's got really long legs and is incredibly clumsy even by lab standards.

I've not heard of pano, but I think his limping is probably related to his exercise level. When I go on travel, we hire a guy to take Manni out hiking for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. If I'm gone for an entire week, by the end of the week Manni is limping pretty noticeably. He typically will stop limping after a few days. Also, I should have mentioned that he's ~5 years old.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

Oh, ok then it's probably not pano. I thought I read somewhere in the thread that he was just a year old. At 5, with his size, he could have a touch of arthritus. Check with your vet, but I bet an aspirin would help him feel more comfortable.