Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Default Stuffed toys question

So... I wanted to buy a stuffed toy for a long time for Boris (6 months old golden retriever). I finally got to last Saturday. Needless to say, he loved it. So much that he didn't want to drop it for his walk... The problem is, the thing got destroyed in about 8 hours. He managed to tear the two legs and put all the stuffing all over the floor. Lovely.

So... Does anyone know any kind of stuffed toy that actually lasts a bit? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:02 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

there is a pile still on top of my fridge to be repaired..but i won and now Victor is very careful with his toys. Because he is careful he gets to have the reallly fun ones. His favortite he got for his found day party. It giggles and vibrates then says THATS FUNNY! we worked hard to get to that stage. As soon as he started ripping one i took it away from him. He learned. We would say oh oh..look at what you did..that is such a shame on you as i put stuffing in a sack...we went thru a few. I get mine at the thrifty store, don't pay more than a dollar ..that is how much his giggling one cost.
In the beginning i remove anything hard, like noses and eyes and that little tag is too much temptation too..

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-24-2005, 06:06 PM

There isn't a stuffed toy that lasts more than an hour or two in this house. LOL I've totally given up that thought.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:24 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I taught all my guys but it is a pain in the beginning..u have to watch them like a hawk and soon as you hear those first threads rip..it gets taken away...it is a good way to teach them to be gentle. Bronki was my sweetest..he learned very very early, but rip and shred Vic i didn't get until he ws 5 months. IF you can teach them not to tear up their toys and they will have more fun in the long run. Bronki had this one, it was a left over baby toy where one side was a terry star (that squeeked) and then a curved piece of plastic with a moon on the other side filled with that rattly plastic. I use to set it right over his back and no matter which way he turned his head there ws a toy. He wans't more than a 6 weeks old when i did that. He still had it when he died..every once in awhile he would root around in the toy basket and take out his star and moon..this time it just fit on his muzzle. I sure wish all of you could have met my Bronki.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 05-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Puppy Dog

stuffed toys last forever in my home. that is until salty came to stay with us. she and scout systematically destroyed every stuffed toy in their relentless games of tug of war. i would come home every day to a fuzzy storm exploded in my house. i bought them appropriate tug toys but no...the stuffed ones were much better for ripping and killing lol. there is now one toy left and i stop them from going to far with it so it lasts awhile.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

Stuffed toys are not tug of war toys in this house- hold !!! Goldens love their whoobies and I have some that date back to the 60s ....When the rip apart grand-dogs come in, the toys are put up and ropes etc are substituated. !!!! My goldens went to yard sales with me and picked out their woobies and took them to the check out......50 cents to 1 $ bought a friend forever !
Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

ropes are for tug..stuffed animals inside sometomes make for a very gentle tug.they seem to know the difference...the serious stuff happens out doors where things can get a bit ruffer. Wish i knew what a woobie was..do you know who little bear is? if u squeeze him in the middle he giggles like a real child..and then if u squeeze his paw he will tell u the whole story. Bronki loved his little bear..Hyia knows when we go to the thrift store to start squeezing all the stuffed animals and call me if she finds a good one.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 05-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Top Dog

Well I tried again, it took probably 10 minutes to get a hole in it. My husband tried to take it from him and he was growling and snapped at him too (which he never does)... I guess no more stuffed toys.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Love my pets

CJ will tear it one up quickly.

Brandy, the lab I used to have, loved all her toys from day one. If you told her which stuffed toy to get, she would bring it to you. She was a special dog.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Smkie .... under a Google search look up "The Legend of the Evil Woobie!"....Fun read and things !