Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Top Dog

Absolutely! Their jaws don't lock. They're not put together any differently. They are just flat out stronger than all get out and their personalities, brave and tenacious.

Dogs in general have very strong jaws. I saw a program about wild animals. They said that a cougar's only predator is the wolf. They did tests and measured the pressure per square inch of a cougars and some other animals, including the wolf and domestic dog. The wolf and dog's were greater than the cougar's. This was on one of those discovery channels.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
Absolutely! Their jaws don't lock. They're not put together any differently. They are just flat out stronger than all get out and their personalities, brave and tenacious.

Dogs in general have very strong jaws. I saw a program about wild animals. They said that a cougar's only predator is the wolf. They did tests and measured the pressure per square inch of a cougars and some other animals, including the wolf and domestic dog. The wolf and dog's were greater than the cougar's. This was on one of those discovery channels.

Exactly, anything I have ever read on pits says how there jaw muscles are just very well developed, they do not lock.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Big Dog

Pittbulls are beautiful, regal looking, strong dogs. It is horrible that the breed has been so abused and mishandled by so many for so long! It is sad that society can't see that "mean" pittbulls are the exception, not the rule. That most of them, the ones we don't hear about, live out long, healthy, happy lives with loving families. My husband has become very aware of the media's hype about certain breeds, and it's result since we adopted Marlee (she's a Rottie). He comments everytime a Rottie, Doberman, or any Bully breed is seen negatively in movies, TV etc. It's amazing what you notice once everyone (except other "bad breed" owners, of course) starts asking why you got such a "mean dog". I can tell them, in all honesty, that my Rottie is the most passive dog I've ever seen!!
Old 05-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

Locking jaws in any breed of dog is a pure myth. I have been around a lot of dogs in my life and had some truly wonderful experiences but I have never found a breed of dog that is sweeter or more friendly than a Pitbull or Amstaff that has been raise in a good home.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:27 AM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer
Locking jaws in any breed of dog is a pure myth.
Quoted for truth.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Big Dog

I work for a vet, and today a client came in with a pit bull that was IMPOSSIBLE......

We had to struggle to examine he because that vicious thing wouldn't stand up or do anything except roll over on her back to have her belly scratched!
Old 05-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Felurian

Such wicked monsters, aren't they, GSD

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Rusty but Trusty

My pitbull mix is the same way. When we take him to the park with our daughter it makes me mad because people will avoid him like the plague. They will let they're children come up and pet our lab puppy but they won't let our pitbull mix go near they're children. It's sad too because he LOVES children too and you can tell he is just so anxious to get to see the kids. It makes me mad to the point were if people come back to let their kids pet our lab puppy for a second time I say if they aren't allowed to pet our dog Mack then they can't pet the puppy because it is unfair for him.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDFan05
I work for a vet, and today a client came in with a pit bull that was IMPOSSIBLE......

We had to struggle to examine he because that vicious thing wouldn't stand up or do anything except roll over on her back to have her belly scratched!
When I first started reading this my dander started to get up....you really got me with that post.

My Vet says that my Amstaffs are some of the easiest dogs to work with no matter what he has to do.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:54 AM
Puppy Dog

Naturally Pitbullīs dont have a "locking mechanism" in their jaws, but has nobody seen a pitbullīs jaws "lock on"? Perhaps the pitty that my auntie raised and loved, the pitbull that loved her actually did want to bight off her finger?

No, I donīt believe that, what I believe is that it is a natural reflex, like a new born baby will grasp at your finger and hold on.

I have also had a lot to do with dogs, in Australia I have trained a lot of working dogs, from dogs for working sheep and cattle, to dogs for hunting wild pigs. I have seen a lot of evidence of "lock jaw" with certain breeds, it is just natural reflex and can be usefull.

Blue Heelers (Australian cattle dogs) are great for working cattle as they have an instict for bighting at the heelīs of cattle. Boarder collies are great for working sheep as they have a natural instinct for holding them together. Retreivers are good at just that out of instinct, not a special mechanism.

Anyway I still think pittys are great