Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

Default high energy breeds

How much exercise does a high energy breed actually need? Lets say an Australian Shepherd or a terrier. How much and also how often? Like if a dog needs a certain amount of exercise I would assume it needs to be spread out over a certain number of sessions so the dog does not build back up to the point of restless chaos. Would walks be enough or should there be fetch and Frisbee daily, maybe swimming with some dogs? Do some breeds absolutely NEED a job (fly ball, agility etc.)? Just wondering

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Walks into Mordor

When Voodoo was at his height of young exhubrance, I don't think I ever managed to tire him out. Ever.

Morning walks, fetch until my arm fell off, countless chew toys, chasing 'round the yard, training sessions, pestering Zeus...it was go go go go go. The times he *did* nap, it was as if he wasn't really tired---he just took pity on us and decided to give us a break.

One day I decided to really tire him out, and launched into a marathon fun session: jogs, fetch, car rides, etc. End result? I was sprawled on the couch, exhuasted. Voodoo was sitting in front of me, hopefully trying to shove a squeaky in my lap.

Thank goodness he's past that phase.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Just try me..

I have 5 Jack Russell terriers. And they are hunting/sport bred so they have oodles of energy. But I find that mindless exercise, like repeatedly fetching a ball for 30 min isn't as effective as a 10 min training session that engages the brain. Mental stimulation seems to be the key, so a job is really really helpful.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Are you dead yet?

You will need 24.5 hours of walking every day to tire out a high-energy dog like an Aussie. Walking is not sufficient exercise for most dogs, much less a high energy terrier or herding breed.

A job is great, it helps them settle down because it exercises their mind as well as their body. Agility is especially great because it requires a lot of focus on the dog's part. Same with any kind of obedience training. I can let Eve run all day, and she'll still be full of energy when we get home. But if I snap a leash on her and make her follow me around and behave herself all day, as soon as that leash comes off she heads for her crate and takes a nap.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I have 5 Jack Russell terriers. And they are hunting/sport bred so they have oodles of energy. But I find that mindless exercise, like repeatedly fetching a ball for 30 min isn't as effective as a 10 min training session that engages the brain. Mental stimulation seems to be the key, so a job is really really helpful.
so true. Milo could chase a ball for three hours straight, take a five minute break, and go for another three hours. we often play "hide the ball", he swims daily in the summer, we go for walks, preferably someplace more exciting than through the neighborhood, etc.

i also find, however, with Milo, he needs to rest, and if he does, he gets more wound up. twice a day he gets a nap, and if he doesn't go to sleep on his own he gets crated for an hour or two. it doesn't exactly give him less energy, but it keeps me sane and keeps him more focused, instead of climbing up the walls (literally).

From what i hear, an australian shepherd isn't as high energy as some terriers or, say, a border collie.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Dog Show Addict

Belgians are a "high energy" breed - Riot is NEVER satisfied unless hes put in a hard days work.. THEN he'll relax next to your feet. If not he has random spasm moments where he just NEEDS to do zoomies around you lol

Belgians are a breed that NEED a job or your going to go nuts living with them.

If Riot didn't have an energy outlet he'd go insane and develop his own job - usually in the "bad" zone for people.. ie. chewing, chasing shadows(VERY bad habit for a high drive dog to get into), ripping things up etc etc.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

Now I dont have a pure breed but he is extreamly high energy. (He is a Dutch Shepard/Australian cattle dog mix) Walking does nothing for this dog. I got him at 4 months and the second day I had him he was out for 8 hours walking around and playing around in my friends back yard and he went the whole time. I realized I was gonna have my hands full after that. On average he will have atleast 4 hours of off leash running chasing a ball or freesbie with a bit of rumbling with other dogs. And still he runs around the house for most the day with his toys or the cat. If I miss one day where I dont take Duke out he becomes extreamly destructive.

The one thing I did find that wore him out was (like someone mentioned already) mental stimulation. When he was in obedience class I would take him to the park to wrestle with his doggie friends for an hour or so then take him to class for an hour and when we got him he would sleep for hours.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Sheepdog

I have border collie sheepdogs that I use for mustering sheep and working in sheepdog trials.

I give them 2 hard short runs a day i.e flat chat for 15 mins running hard plus work them on sheep as well which gives them extra exercise plus the mental stimulation they need.

i notice they behave alot better if they get the proper exercise like I outline above.

Cheers
Sheepdog
Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

I have an American Staffordshire Terrier. I cannot do enough to release all of his energy. The one time I can remember that he actually was tired was after he was at a friends house for a week while we were on vacation. he played for a whole week with their Rottweiler, Australian Shepherd and English Mastiff. He slept the whole 2 hour drive home.

What I have found that works to get rid of some of his pent up energy is giving him bones to chew on during the day. He no longer rips my house to shreds when he comes inside. He is happy to lay around for half an hour or so.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Twin 2.0

I have an Aussie, who thankfully was out of the bottomless well of energy phase by the time I got him. But it does take quite a bit to wear him out. An hour at the park will take the edge off, but he can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, so by the time we get home he's recharged. Combining thinking with exercise does work a lot better. It's not impossible to keep controlled, it just takes some creativity. His "job" is keeping doggie daycare under control and making sure that no one is breaking the rules.