Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Default Anyone imported a dog? (especially US to Can)

The option was brought up to me today of being able to drive and go get Smudge.. Break up the trip a little by a gracious person I know so it isn't 14ish hours followed by 14ish more hours. But, it's semi dependent if I can replace my car in the next month.. Breeder has gotten a shipping quote put together for me for continental, and is working on one for health cert and crate.. but I'd like to drive, see people I don't get to see often.. Though it's less fuss to not put in the drive..

He's not going anywhere for another 4-6 weeks or anything.. but Canada customs hasn't been helpful trying to get info.. So even to have a sort of idea from anyone who has done it...

I was wondering if anyone had flown or driven a new dog States to Canada especially, and what was it like hassle wise and tax wise bringing them back?

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
The option was brought up to me today of being able to drive and go get Smudge.. Break up the trip a little by a gracious person I know so it isn't 14ish hours followed by 14ish more hours. But, it's semi dependent if I can replace my car in the next month.. Breeder has gotten a shipping quote put together for me for continental, and is working on one for health cert and crate.. but I'd like to drive, see people I don't get to see often.. Though it's less fuss to not put in the drive..

He's not going anywhere for another 4-6 weeks or anything.. but Canada customs hasn't been helpful trying to get info.. So even to have a sort of idea from anyone who has done it...

I was wondering if anyone had flown or driven a new dog States to Canada especially, and what was it like hassle wise and tax wise bringing them back?
-thread hijack-

You can come and see me and Chloe

*I remember you said that your breeder was in NC I think*
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Harumph™©®

Mafia, my breeder shows in Canada and brings dogs there often. So she is familiar with the trip between the states and there. If you want, I can ask her your questions. But I'm not sure exactly what you want to know, so you can PM me if you want with specific questions and I will contact her. She might have some insight.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Shippo is from Canada. He was flown from Manitoba to Denver, CO. It was kindof a pain, but we got it done lol...

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Top Dog

As long as he is under 12 weeks of age, he does not need rabies. He will need an international health certificate certifying him healthy and free of parasites and infectious diseases that is no more than 72 hours old prior to importation.

He must be vaccinated for distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, and parainfluenza virus NO YOUNGER than 6 weeks of age.

You will need a bill of sale clearly stating the value of the dog and you will have to pay GST on that value.

Importing dogs to Canada is not governed by Canada Customs, but by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. The requirements can be found here: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...chien_1e.shtml

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Thank you. He'll need rabies. He's not going anywhere till 12 weeks minimum. He's 8 weeks now and just got his first set of shots. Do you know if he needs a health certificate if I drive him back?

Just GST on the total? That's spit.. I was expecting a hefty cost.. Thank you.. No one had an answer for that part of importing before.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Top Dog

If you are going to do it "legal", then I would say yes. And you will need to contact CFIA to find out if there is an inspector at your point of entry into Canada, and what his/her hours are.

Vaccinating for rabies at 12 weeks, is IMO, not a good idea. You can bring the puppy across without rabies, and the inspector will give you an order to have the dog vaccinated within a certain time frame, with proof of that vaccination submitted to CFIA. I really would consider calling them.

AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Top Dog

Oh, and one other thing. If this is a dog that you are wanting to CKC register, you will need to keep your documentation from when you brought him over. The CKC requires proof of importation from CFIA/Canada Customs.

AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Harumph™©®

Ok looks like you got your answers. I will cancel out my email with breeder.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

Here's one other thing that I just remembered.

12 weeks is not necessarily 3 months. CFIA requires puppies over 3 months of age be vaccinated for rabies. That's 3 months to the day. So if your puppy was born April 23rd, 12 weeks would be the 16th of July, but three months won't be until the 23rd of July. So you might be okay with your rabies.

I just imported a dog from Hungary, and I talked to CFIA over the phone specifically about this. 3 months is not 12 weeks.

AND 9 little baby Tervs!