Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
adojrts's Avatar
adojrts adojrts is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,089
Default Trying to Save a Crippled 3 wk old Foal

I may need a kick for taking her on, but I just can't leave her where she is.
Just down the road from my kids school there is a farm that breeds QH's.
I saw the filly out on pasture with her dam the day after she was foaled.
She is now 3 wks old and so lame!!! She has DOD's, from the mare being overfed during pregancy and from them being out on rich lush pasture. Now the filly is a cripple and she ISN'T receiving any care!! I spoke to the owner today about her, they had the vet (a bloody cow vet) out and he told them to wait and see. Good grief. Of course they didn't take any x-rays and said if she had been a colt they would have put her down.
At this point AFTER the mare is bred again, they are coming to my place (hoping the extra two weeks isn't going to be our undoing). I have to go there tomorrow to meet the owner, he has at this point agreed to giving me the foal. I want to remove them asap from that pasture, even if I have to provide bedding and hay for the mare to have them on stall rest. The I want my vet to come out and take x-rays. By changing the mares diet at this point will help the foal, then I expect to put the foal on Tetracylcine every other day for a week and some pain meds, possible splints as well, also put heel supports on her and no turn out for now, then very limited exercise.
I have dealt with this before and with extreme care, she may not be a cripple.
Gezz I wish I had seen this foal up close before this!! But everytime I drove by she was either a long ways away or laying down. Time is critical and she would have had a much better out come if she had received the correct treatment asap.
Hell I can hardly afford this at this point, but one has to do what one can do, money aside.
In the end I may have to make a very tough decision about this foal, but before that I am at least going to do what I can for her. I WILL ease her suffering one way or another.

I'll let ya's know if I have a new charge starting tomorrow.

Last edited by adojrts; 06-11-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Kase's Avatar
Kase Kase is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Britain
Posts: 15,703

Oh I'm so glad your helping that little foal! I can't wait for the updates.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:09 AM
BostonBanker's Avatar
BostonBanker BostonBanker is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,843

I hope things go well today with the owner. Definitely keep us up to date!

PDCH Random Rescue Meg PKCH-Silver PSCH-Bronze PJCH-Bronze AXJ OA CL3 CGC
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 AM
SummerRiot's Avatar
SummerRiot SummerRiot is offline
Dog Show Addict
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,056

Aww the poor thing... Does this happen often to them I wonder if they breed QHs.. I wonder what lines they have...

You'd think that they'd know better..

Glad your taking the filly on - I want LOTS of pics and updates!
Tyr TT
Princess aka Tettles

Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site