Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Of Jurai View Post
Your logic is to buy a cheap dog and wing it. May work some of the time but WTF happens when YOU NEED to do emergancy surgery and your broke ass can't pay for it? Who pays then? The dog, that's who!
This is a forum of dog lovers and while we may not all agree all the time- we have one thing in common and that is love for dog and your insults are not necessary. So consider this a friendly warning: curb your macho enthusiasm for being against what nearly every member says, does and believes here. By all means, disagree and voice your opinion, but one more insult -albeit direct or not- or one more dose of downright meanspiritedness (thanks for the word TM)- and you will no longer be welcome on this forum.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:35 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Now, on to the OP...

You have to find what is right for you and your family and your needs and wants out of a pet. That may be a dazzling $2000 purebred or it may be the mix at the local shelter that just melts your heart. Follow your heart.

As far as money.. I can tell you right now that when we got Buddy we didn't have 4 times the amount of what he cost, but we spent that and MORE the first month that he was with us and we found a way to fund the fight for his life. When there is a will, there is a way.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Your logic is to buy a cheap dog and wing it. May work some of the time but WTF happens when YOU NEED to do emergancy surgery and your broke ass can't pay for it? Who pays then? The dog, that's who!
And your logic is to spend a large sum of money on a dog and leave all the 'cheap' loving dogs in the shelters to be put to sleep. By your 'logic' nobody who is middle or lower income is able to come up with funds for an emergency (funny, I've always found the money when I needed it but I guess I've just been lucky) and even though they have spent time, energy and put their hearts and souls into their dogs they will just put them to sleep because of a cash flow problem. Oh yes, and 95% of vets a number I'm sure you just pulled our of your ... thin air ... don't care about animals and aren't willing to work with you to help your pet get the care it needs.

I really feel for you that you don't know any better and that you have only worked with vets that are interested in your wallet rather than your pet. Maybe it's how you present yourself but I hope that some day you are able to find a vet with heart instead of a sports car. I know I wouldn't take my dogs to any other kind.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks, really, to everyone with helpful information on this thread. I'm hoping we can adopt a dog from a shelter, I think our county shelter is a kill shelter and I'd really like to go there. That's why I was asking about breeds, they can only usually guess, and a lot of dogs are mixes, so I just wanted to be armed with all the information that I could have.

I don't expect to find a PWD or a Wheaten at the shelter, mostly I was just asking about those because I think they are beautiful.

Anyhow, I'm sorry this thread took a nasty turn, some people are just that way I guess.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Island dweller

Yup some people are that way. glad you can see it

If you want to go with a breed and a rescue there are breed rescues that will help get dogs to the right home. The breed rescues will often keep an eye out and let you know when they have something. Or you might catch one on petfinder or something similar. OR if you want to go to shelters and just play with the dogs, take them for walks, take pictures (for us too!!! ) you'll learn a lot and the dogs will really appreciate it. there are so many options for you. I'm glad you are looking into it so early and thoroughly.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Island dweller

I just want to be clear for anyone who might think that dogs are unaffordable for the average person. This is not true. Yes there are a lot of costs. I spend hundreds every month just on food for my four. And yes, emergency vet fees are sometimes necessary. I've never had to take my dogs in for a major emergency surgery but it does happen. The last time I had to take a dog in for something other than a routine appointment was last month when Sakari discovered porcupines. She had a face full of quills and I only had $100.

My vet stayed open late (no extra charge) so she didn't have to spend another night like that. He had never met her before and she was a bit jumpy when she came in. He got down to her level and waited for her to come up to him, gave her treats and sweet talked her before he began. He brought a chair into the room for me (I'm pregnant) so I could sit and watch and chat with him while he put her out and pulled the quills. He showed me the quills talked to me about quill old wives tails and some of the other dogs he's treated. He let me stay with her and pet her head while she woke up so she didn't get too scared and then carried her out to the car for me so she could finish waking up at home.

All of this he did within my budget. Why? Because he loves dogs. He's a neat old guy with a lot of heart but he is NOT such a small minority. So if anyone out there is worried about vet costs maybe shop around for a vet too while you are looking for a dog. See if you can find one that you are comfortable and can start a relationship with.

Any good vet will encourage you to bring your dog in (at no charge of course) just to visit and for treats so they aren't afraid of the clinic and the vet. I haven't loved all of the vets I've been to but I find the majority of them still remember why they got into it ***8211; to help animals.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Walk in here with a dog that has bloated or had to have an ACL surgery and then tell me what is what. Feelings, semantics and other BS aside. Emergency surgery costs money, and 95% of the time it is pay now or no play. Sure you can be a broke ass with a dog, homeless people have dogs all of the time. The question is can those broke homeless people do crap if thier dog gets hit by a car? Probably not.
I'm not homeless, but I am broke. With two kids and a S.O., and myself, we are stretched pretty thin, because I do not work.

We got Kona anyway.

Would I cough up 4000 bucks to save her?

You bet your sweet ass I would. I will be damned when my dog will DIE if she can be saved. I would STEAL to save her. I would wash the Vet's dishes for a year if it would mean saving my dog.

Oh yeah, and did you know 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Chicken View Post
Oh yeah, and did you know 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
roflmao!!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje View Post
roflmao!!
Leave it to me, eh?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 PM
House Of Jurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy'sParents View Post
This is a forum of dog lovers and while we may not all agree all the time- we have one thing in common and that is love for dog and your insults are not necessary. So consider this a friendly warning: curb your macho enthusiasm for being against what nearly every member says, does and believes here. By all means, disagree and voice your opinion, but one more insult -albeit direct or not- or one more dose of downright meanspiritedness (thanks for the word TM)- and you will no longer be welcome on this forum.
Thanks for calling the kettle black.