Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Default What kind of dog would be good for us?

We have been considering a family dog for awhile now, a year or so. I'm fairly hesitant, since I have a preschooler and a toddler, so I've been taking it very slow and really researching breed traits, what to look for in temperment, the grooming/training/other special needs of the various breeds, basically I just don't want to make a mistake.

I really like the things I've read about Bichons. I want a low shedding dog, that is good with kids, and that will be happy in the house with us. The only thing is< i have 2 boys, and while they are respectful and gentle with animals, I'm feeling like a smaller breed dog just isn't the best idea for young boys. I have visions of them rolling around on the floor with our dog, I guess. Maybe that isn't realistic, this would be our first dog so I have no idea. I was thinking 25-50 lbs would be a good size.

I love Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, but they don't sound like the best breed for someone who doesn't know very much about dogs. Also, I haven't been able to find any around here. I've been watching petfinder for almost a year. I can't spend $1500 on a dog either, and they seem to be pricey.

So does anyone here have any insight? Am I just over analyzing this? I tend to do that.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Active Pup

I am definatly no expert but from what you are looking for some dogs that first came to mind were: Standard Schnauzer, Standard Poodle,and Portuguese Water Dog.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Water Junkie

First breed that came to mind was Golden. Dog who would love to just be around you and your family, and loves kids.

But they are not low shedders and can be bigger than 50 pounds, just depends on the dog.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I think a standard poodle would be a great match

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Puppy Dog

I would love a PWD! It's next to impossible to find them around here though, I'm in Westen Washington. I think they are absolutely gorgeous. I love curly furred dogs.

I would also love a Golden, but my 2 year old is exhibiting mild allergy signs when he is around my mom and dad's black lab. He gets red patches on his face and his eyes start to water. We have an appt to get him into an allergist, since allergies run in the family. I am actually allergic to dogs and cats, but I can build up a tolerance to a specific animal's dander, we have a cat and I don't react to him.

Anyhow, since I know that there are breeds that are better for allergy sufferers, I thought it best that we go with one of those breeds because we want to adopt a dog as a family member, and I don't want to be in a situation where we can't keep him/her anymore.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Water Junkie

I would find out what your son is allergic to before picking a breed out. JMHO.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 PM
and Spy.

I second poodle.

And agree with Lizmo. Find out what he is allergic to. It would be awful to have to rehome the dog if it didn't work out.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Puppy Dog

So even dogs that are supposed to be good for allergy sufferers can cause a reaction? Does that mean if we find out he's allergic to dogs we can't get a dog at all?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Chihuahua Power!

There is no such thing as a "hypoallergenic" dog. People are allergic to the dander, which has to do with skin and not fur.

However, poodles, bichons, malteses, yorkies (dogs with hair rather than fur) are usually better for allergy sufferers.

I have awful allergies, and I have 3 chihuahuas. Chihuahuas are actually a breed that has less dander than most. However, I am not allergic to dogs at all so I'm not entirely sure of the truth to that.

If I were you, I would find a breeder who has the breed that you want (if your son is allergic to a lab, I would find a low-shedding breed with hair), and see if you and your family can spend some time with their dogs. It wouldn't be fair to your family or the puppy to have to rehome it if your son was allergic to it.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-09-2007, 11:51 PM
lurking near the surface

we are in a somewhat similar boat. we live just above you in BC, my hubby is mildly allergic to some dogs, and though we don't have kids yet, we plan to.

an interesting, though incomplete, quiz that was posted here is a good tool as a starting point: dog breed quiz. note: the questions regarding type of hair at first threw me off, because i don't want a long haired shedding dog. but keep in mind, that there are long-haired nonshedding dogs. the shedding question comes later.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal" [Proverbs 12:10]